In your opinion, do the two go hand in hand? Do you think that drug use ruins your creativity? I'd like to hear other musicians opinions because I am starting to write music and I have been feeling drugs are a crucial part to creating music. I feel that they just open up parts of your mind that are very useful for creativity and coming up with songs and lyrics.

It's weird but I almost feel like the two are mystically related to each other. But anyways, share your thoughts.
I wouldn't say I NEED drugs to be creative, but when under the influence of some herb I do think of some odd melodies. They are usually not as great as I thought they were after I sober up though.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by -Blue-
All I can see that drugs would do is remove any blocks you place on your own creativity. If you let yourself be creative normally, then there's little reason to use them at all. I mean, I come up with some of the weirdest stuff I've ever heard and I stay sober.

listen to this man, for he is correct.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
depends on the person, me, no no, got so ****ing high one day, sat down and wrote a riff i thought was awesome, once i burnt out i realized it was the beginning of a harmonic minor scale.
Yeah man I always go buck wild when im blazed. It defiantly helps you feel the groove...
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Quote by -Blue-
All I can see that drugs would do is remove any blocks you place on your own creativity. If you let yourself be creative normally, then there's little reason to use them at all. I mean, I come up with some of the weirdest stuff I've ever heard and I stay sober.
This, kinda. When I'm high I can come up with weird shit and be okay with it, whereas if I were sober I would think "No I can't do that"

If you can put yourself into that mentality without drugs, go for it. Don't be afraid to break boundaries. I have a hard time doing it.
Quote by sacamano79
I wouldn't say I NEED drugs to be creative, but when under the influence of some herb I do think of some odd melodies. They are usually not as great as I thought they were after I sober up though.

This.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Everyone here mentions pot but I am more specifically talking psychedelics, which I don't care what you or your health teacher says, you can NOT reach the headspace psychedelics give you sober. You see things in completely different ways that are literally unconceivable in your normal state of mind. I think pot can sometimes help but it is really a hit or miss substance for writing music.
doing drugs to help your creativity is like voting for Obama,
some say it will do the trick, but in the end was it really necessary or did you run out of options
Me & my buddies took shrooms & recorded a jam session once. It was awesome, even when we were sober.
Quote by Union Jake
just straight up normal male group jerking session, it was like i was on my own aprt from getting kinda bumped into and the weird noises.
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

You earned your name, pal.
Everything I write when I'm drunk or high sucks, no exceptions. I only think it's good when I'm writing it and then realize how much it sucks when I sober up. Also, this isn't the correct forum to post this thread. If you really want answers, ask in S&L techniques or the Pit, though I'm pretty sure this exact thread has been done before.

*reported*
kill all humans
heres something interesting that i actually was just talking about with my amigo the other day. multitudes of great musicians have been known to use heroine, and describe it as instantly "falling in love" with it. Now i don't know about you guys, but when i feel a stong emotion i tend to write more meaningful lyrics and and better parts all around. so what i think is maybe they litlerally feel the love emotion so are moved to write better music. And then shoot themselves in the head or wind up dead on the table *cough* Kurt cobain**cough* *cough Nikki Sixx*