So in a nutshell I am trying to set a good uprade from the amp I currently have (see sig) but I have a dilemma

here are the amps I am stuck between

Mesa mark v
Mesa road king 2
engl se (not sure about this one)
axe fx ultra

I really prefer a 6505 distorted sound but I know that all these amps have a pretty excellent sound I am just looking for some thoughts

ps: I would upgrade my cab later just depends on amp choice and as of now I intend on buying a James Tyler variax as an upgraded guitar from what I have now

thanks
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
If you prefer a 6505 drive tone, why not just get it and save the money and put it towards the Tyler?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
imo the road king is the perfect amp. besides an orange rockerverb 50, nevermind that if you can afford a roadking id get it
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Do you really need a new cab?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Jul 7, 2010,
For me, It'd be between the two Mesas. Obviously by my sig, I'm going for the Mark V.

I'd love to have a Road King, but have you seen the back of that thing? Way to many option, I'd much rather have a Roadster. But then I still don't want 4 channels, 3 is enough... and the Mark V has 3 which is perfect.

Also, I'm not much of a fan of Engl tone usually, plus I think the SE is overpriced (it IS overseas, and anything overseas seems to be almost double what they're worth)

But it's all down to what YOUR ideal tone is. If you like the 6505 tone so much, just get it.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Do you really need a new cab?
Aavatars are pretty good, no?

this i know, i'm just saying, i wouldn't upgrade my cab for quite a while,

and while i love the 6505 drive tone, it's clean is not good at all, plus it's only two channel, and i prefer to have a large amount of versatility

that's part of the reason i'm looking at the axe fx, so i can use the acoustic models of the Variax plus i'll have nearly limitless tone options but i've heard that while the axe is the best modeler out there it's still not perfect, which is why i'm undecided

on paper i would go for the axe, but i'm not sure it's really that good

as far as road king vs mark v, i'm torn because both are amazing while the road king cost almost double, it has almost double the options, so i really am not sure, plus no music store within 80 miles has mesa anything, much less their top of the line gear
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
sorry, but that's more of a hassel than i would like, my preferred options are one of these two

Axe Fx Ultra
Vetta II

only problem are 2 things: quality of models (especially with vetta; also, to some extent ease of use) and what speakers to use to play them out of, a cab doesn't allow for proper/full range of sound and would color the modeling of speakers, so i would need an FRFR (full range flat response) pa or monitor

knowing that sound quality might be an issue that brings up other options which would have excellent sound quality for sure

Engl SE (unsure yet just how much i dig this sound)
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Road King 2
Diezel VH4 (unsure as to whether i like tones)
something framus or carvin

noticing a trend? these are all multi channel heads to allow for many different sounds easily, but at two costs, 1: some cost an arm and leg 2: i would still have to purchase effects for them

this creates a problem; for while my Peavey XXX is good, all the tube possibilities blow it out of the water, and the two modelers rape it in versatility

so any thoughts?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Doesn't the Vetta have it's own cab? That's what I would get as they must work well together. Also I think one of the guys from Thrice uses a variax into a vetta live. Maybe try looking up videos of that and see how it sounds?