well looking around i haven't seen any amp that really just sticks out for hard rock, i know theres the 6505, krankenstein, and a jsx. Yes i realize those are all peavey's but those are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head that are really good for rock, I would say marshall but i really don't know that much about them. So what are some amps that would handle distortion well and be good for rock.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
mesa boogie single/dual/triple rectifiers, Mark IV/V, Marshall JCM 800/900/2000, Marshall JVM

There are so many amps good for rock. What is ur budget and any bands u want to sound like?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
ahhhh I forgot about mesas but I want something thats real full and thick, it would need to be able to take pretty heavy distortion but be able to do lighter stuff, I guess something like puddle of mudd but and maybe just eq'd a little different and the budget is non-existent, I'm saving up for it so I guess my limit is 700 for the amp and I haven't really decided anything about the cabs
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Dual and Triple Recs for hard rock? Krankenstein?

Is there some genre confusion here? Pretty sure those are high-gain metal amps.

Anyway, Jet City JCA50H just came out and covers sparkly to roaring and does the chugga chugga with a boost.

Blackheart Hot Head (BH100H) does Marshally-roar for cheap. Might need a boost for some higher gain applications.

Pretty much any Blackstar amp, really.

There are heads and combos in your budget from all these brands.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 7, 2010,
yeah i know a lot of those are for metal but i guess its just my taste in tone, i want something really heavy with out the metal sound if that makes sense?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
By that I'm guessing you mean plenty of gain but with good midrange.

Marshall JCM800. Doubtful if you can find a used one in your budget.

Some kind of cheaper Soldano SLO clone. Never really seen one.

Uhm... Splawn Nitro? Splawn Quick Rod? Probably way out of your budget. Still worth looking into, though.

Peavey 6505/Bugera 6262. More designed for metal but it's a workhorse and can do a lot of things convincingly.

I'd still have to say either a Jet City JCA50 or a JCA100. High gain but not scooped metal chugga. And definitely in your budget.
Bugera 333 or Magician. The Magician is new and is a clone of a Mesa Boogie Mark IV/V.

Will u be gigging? Because u dont really need 100 watts. A Blackstar HT-20h is a nice amp thats good for home use and small gigs.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
Bugera 333 or Magician. The Magician is new and is a clone of a Mesa Boogie Mark IV/V.

Will u be gigging? Because u dont really need 100 watts. A Blackstar HT-20h is a nice amp thats good for home use and small gigs.

So you recommend two 100 watt amps and then say he doesn't need 100 watts?

OP, the Rectifier works well for hard rock because of how loose it is, but I'd second the JCA 50 or JCA 100, which is a clone of the Soldano SLO.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
So you recommend two 100 watt amps and then say he doesn't need 100 watts?

OP, the Rectifier works well for hard rock because of how loose it is, but I'd second the JCA 50 or JCA 100, which is a clone of the Soldano SLO.

magician is 85 watts with class a/ab operation as well as varipower so that could work

OP maybe a tiny terror, used.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
well i would actually like to have plenty of power because i live in the middle of no where and can crank it up as loud as i want and i want that nice loud full sound too
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
than look at the bugera magician, portable, loud, power scaling, tube, reverb, eq. everything
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

the magician seems a little pricey for just 85 watts and 1 12", i know i'll end up spending close to or over 1000 with a head and cab but to me it seems like that would be better since i wouldn't just have one speaker but rather a whole cab
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
DO NOT CONFUSE WATTS WITH PRICE!!!!! thats the biggest mistake you can make.

watts=/=price

name and tone=price

do you really wanna lug that big cab everywhere you go though i mean how much easier would it be to have a combo. they usually only mic one speaker anyway
roland AC90

Last edited by Skagasm at Jul 7, 2010,
alright, my bad on the watt thing, i'm used to messing with car audio amps where price normally go by wattage, but i'm wanting the full sound of a half stack or a full stack. If i do end up doing any gigs around here they'll be small enough that a half stack could easily pull it off
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
go with jet city!!
seriously, mines in the mail
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by grungebaby
alright, my bad on the watt thing, i'm used to messing with car audio amps where price normally go by wattage, but i'm wanting the full sound of a half stack or a full stack. If i do end up doing any gigs around here they'll be small enough that a half stack could easily pull it off

half stack and combo dont differ in sound, a stack will have a bit more headroom than a combo but its the wiring and the tubes that give it the sound, dude it sounds easy to carry no but if you add a drummer's equipment, your ccab is going to become a night mare to bring around
roland AC90

I would strongly suggest a small to medium sized marshall amp. As a matter of fact, I saw a marshall half-stack online on Musicians Friend for around $500 American. For a good amp, I would suggest this for large gigs. I would get one too (but I do not even have that much). If using your own distortion DO NOT GET THE SPIDER III. But for small gigs, 40 to 50 watts should cover it.
Quote by Skagasm
half stack and combo dont differ in sound, a stack will have a bit more headroom than a combo but its the wiring and the tubes that give it the sound, dude it sounds easy to carry no but if you add a drummer's equipment, your ccab is going to become a night mare to bring around

That's not really true. Plug a 1x12 combo amp into a 4x12 cab. It REALLY opens up. Small speaker in a tiny box makes for a compressed tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtFRmlPw3cY

Watch from 3:35 onward. He plays a Marshall Class 5 and then the Marshall rep plugs it into a 4x12. It makes it roar so much more. Moving more air will do that.
how is a combo amp and a half stack going to sound the same? a half stack would move up to 4 times as much air (as long as it was a 1x12 speaker and every speaker got the same power), thats what makes cabs sound so much fuller, but anyways back on topic, i was thinking about the bugera 333 head. but what is a boutique amp?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Well, I agree with the suggestions so far
What's your budget?
How loud does it need to be?

Might also want to look at Orange but Blackstars and Marshalls are probably your best bet.

Boutique is generally something not quite so mass produced e.g. THD, Bad Cat, Dr Z, Diezel etc...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB