I've been practising tremolo picking for a while but I can't seem to get it, I tense up too much and then it all goes to hell. And when I do get it going, I can't keep my timing right. Whats the best way to learn/practise?
Start slow, hold your pick and keep your arm in the most comfortable way, your hand should stay relaxed, for the timing, metronome.
great advice by Zeletros

Originally Posted by anonymus
I voted "evolutionism", though. Cuz you know... it's sciencey.

Originally Posted by anonymus
We were all created by God...
As Monkeys...
Then evolved.
End Debate.
Get a metronome, and start playing the licks you're working on at comfortable speed. Make sure you're picking from your wrist and angle the pick downward a bit. It would also be better on the long run if you don't anchor.
Start with larger movements, like strumming all strings rapidly but in time. Then add some basic strum patterns (again, quickly & in time). Then do the same patterns on one string (all 6, one string at a time).

Once your hand is worn out from all this, attack one string playing at 90% of your top speed, paying close attention to pick angle & rotation. Don't play at top speed or you'll have inconsistencies - play at 90% and try to go non-stop for 1 minute. If you can, play a tad faster until 1 minute is almost impossible.

polarized fishing sunglasses
Quote by jack30barton
Start with larger movements, like strumming all strings rapidly but in time. Then add some basic strum patterns (again, quickly & in time). Then do the same patterns on one string (all 6, one string at a time).

Once your hand is worn out from all this, attack one string playing at 90% of your top speed, paying close attention to pick angle & rotation. Don't play at top speed or you'll have inconsistencies - play at 90% and try to go non-stop for 1 minute. If you can, play a tad faster until 1 minute is almost impossible.

polarized fishing sunglasses

Just in case you couldn't tell by the advert at the bottom: this advice is extremely poor.

Zeletros got it right, slow practise with a metronome, using small and relaxed motions is the way to go. Tremolo picking is (physically) the same as alternate picking.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.