In my band the group consists, of three people, the bass player, the drummer, and i guitar/vocals

Our drummer has a history of being irresponsible and misbehaving, long story

Anyways, before the holidays i just assumed he had already left the band without saying anything because i just stopped talking to him after he kept missing practice and not practicing
He comes to me and tells me he wants to have lots of practices in the holidays and that he wants to get some songwriting going
So i'm like, yeah great bro, can't wait to finally take this a bit more seriously, should be awesome

First week of the school holidays goes by, i hear nothing from him
Monday of the second week, i message him on msn saying, what are you doing, are we going to practice? and he tells me that we are going to meet up this week for a few nights and get this songwriting going, as he should have some stuff to show me by the time i come over
It is now Wednesday night, there are only 4 days of holidays left including sunday
And i have not heard a word from him, he has rarely used msn at all these holidays, and when he does, he does not speak to me, he does not call, and i am totally left in the dark as to why

At this point, i've had it up to here, and i'm majorly pissed that i thought i had assembled a full band together, had all the roles filled, and now this guy has to **** it up, and the one thing that gets to me the most is that he constantly says he will does this, do that, and he does not do it, he's like a sewage tank, if you get what i mean

Any ideas on what i should say to him on Monday? any particular way to approach him about it? i've just had enough, and i don't even feel like playing
Just be straight, and keep it professional. "Sorry but you've been to inconsistent, and I need more dedicated members in this band, hopefully you wont take it personally and we can still be friends (If you guys are friends, I'm not sure)". No easy way to do it really lol.
ledzeppelin7510 wrote:

come on guys, this could be great for Portnoy; remember when Neil Peart left Rush to join My Chemical Romance? Oh...wait...
Just approach him and tell him the truth.

If he takes it personally and wants to whinge he wasn't even worthy of playing with you anyway.
What i am asking is, how can i approach him so that i can determine whether he should be allowed to stay?

This guy is alright when we are being a bunch of idiots but when it comes to work time hes always half assing things, but he has a lot of potential, and hes a damn idiot for taking the path he is imo opinion, hes missed way too much school smoking pot with this total bogan who is a BAD influences on him
Set up a date for a rehearsal with the band. Tell him that it is his decision, he can show up and be committed, or he doesn't show up and he is out of the band. Make sure he understands that if he doesn't show up then there isn't a "next time".
Quote by ShredHead396
What i am asking is, how can i approach him so that i can determine whether he should be allowed to stay?

This guy is alright when we are being a bunch of idiots but when it comes to work time hes always half assing things, but he has a lot of potential, and hes a damn idiot for taking the path he is imo opinion, hes missed way too much school smoking pot with this total bogan who is a BAD influences on him

I would have thought that you had already determined that he wasn't staying. Don't waste your time by hanging on, that time would be much better spent finding a new drummer.
^ On that note, i'm still in highschool and i'm not sure how having an out of school drummer would turn out, what do you guys think?

worth a shot?
^ Could do that, but my only restricting factor is that at the moment i am only using my 40w practice amp as i don't have anything larger
Should be getting a 200w cab for my head in a couple months though