Hi,

Anyone got suggestions for vintage-ish multi effects rack gear for a George Lynch sound? I am aware of the ADA-MP1, but it's out my price range right now. As is a JCM800. I have been looking at the Roland GP-8 and 16, and the Boss VF-1. Anyone tried them out?
I've had my GP-8 since they were released and still use it. I bought it new. It's never missed a beat. The overdrive in it is an OD-1 with the Turbo knob, whichever that was. Pure 80's. Everybody in the eighties had either a tubescreamer or an OD-1.
I had a GP-16 as well but let that go. It had nasty overdrive/distortion, sounds all digital. The GP-8 has some analog stuff in there, the 16 is all digital - old digital. The 16 has better MIDI implementation but the 8 has enough for actual use. The 16 switches faster between patches via MIDI.
I have the FC100 footcontroller and EV-5 to go with it and I use the GP-8 as my MIDI controller to switch my Quadraverb.
Anything you want to know specifically?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Excellent feedback, thanks very much. Very helpful. I do have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. How's the delay? How does it compare to, say, a DD3?
2. Sounds as though the GP-8 might be better - is this your assessment?
3. The advantage of the GP-16, for me, is the reverb. Is it any good? Or should I get the GP-8 and get a separate reverb unit?

Thanks again.

Quote by Cathbard
I've had my GP-8 since they were released and still use it. I bought it new. It's never missed a beat. The overdrive in it is an OD-1 with the Turbo knob, whichever that was. Pure 80's. Everybody in the eighties had either a tubescreamer or an OD-1.
I had a GP-16 as well but let that go. It had nasty overdrive/distortion, sounds all digital. The GP-8 has some analog stuff in there, the 16 is all digital - old digital. The 16 has better MIDI implementation but the 8 has enough for actual use. The 16 switches faster between patches via MIDI.
I have the FC100 footcontroller and EV-5 to go with it and I use the GP-8 as my MIDI controller to switch my Quadraverb.
Anything you want to know specifically?
1. The Delay is normal Boss delay from the era. It's good, very U2'ish.
2. I didn't like the GP-16 a lot, the GP-8 is a bit of a classic. I can't imagine getting rid of it really.
3. The Reverb in it is ok but it doesn't even get close to my Quadraverb which is from about the same era. I've used this combination for years so yeah, GP-8 plus another Reverb is good.

Edit: They are designed to sit out the front of the amp. Using a separate reverb means you can put it in the amp's loop. Being out the front also means you can use it as a dead clean boost by just turning up the output volume even with no effects turned on if you want. Very handy with a good amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 7, 2010,
Thanks, that's helpful. One final thing - does the GP-8 handle distorted/overdriven chorus without falling into noise?

Quote by Cathbard
1. The Delay is normal Boss delay from the era. It's good, very U2'ish.
2. I didn't like the GP-16 a lot, the GP-8 is a bit of a classic. I can't imagine getting rid of it really.
3. The Reverb in it is ok but it doesn't even get close to my Quadraverb which is from about the same era. I've used this combination for years so yeah, GP-8 plus another Reverb is good.

Edit: They are designed to sit out the front of the amp. Using a separate reverb means you can put it in the amp's loop. Being out the front also means you can use it as a dead clean boost by just turning up the output volume even with no effects turned on if you want. Very handy with a good amp.
Thanks for this, too. Looking into it. Any specific model - seems there's a few?

Quote by Poglia
Vox Tonelab.
I don't know about different GP-8s. They only made them for a year or two, as far as I knew there was only one type.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was referring to the other guy's Vox Tonelab suggestoin. These two fx - the GP8 and the Tonelab - do seem like their suited to my tone.

BTW: you ever tried the Alesis Midiverb?

Quote by Cathbard
I don't know about different GP-8s. They only made them for a year or two, as far as I knew there was only one type.
Yes, the Midiverb is excellent. Not as customisable as a Quadraverb but very good quality nontheless.

The GP-8 is genuine 80's in a box. I think it's the one you are after. The Quadraverb/Midiverb is too, they were everywhere you looked.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification