Hey UG,

I remember reading some time ago that violinists (and other musicians that use a bow) put some sort of chalk (or some other substance) on their bow to get a better grip on it and too keep it from falling out.

When my hands get sweaty my guitar pick tends to slide about a bit so I was wondering:

Could I use the same stuff on my pick?
And what exactly this chalk thing is?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
what they put in the bows(which i think it's wax, not sure though) they put it in the side that touches the strings, which is made from hair, not in the wood, so your idea is a bit pointless, you should try though, it may work
It's called resin, but when used on the bow is called rosin, ye y not, c what happens
Last edited by dweb23 at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by dweb23
It's called resin, but when used on the bow is called rosin, ye y not, c what happens

That's what it's called!
Found the video really easy, just typed in "violin rosin for picks" .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgiFwMEBOsA

This guy says it's legit I think I'll try it out. How much does some rosin cost ?
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
Alternatively, you could try a different style of plectrum e.g. dava plectrums or other ones with the little rubber things for easy grip. You should be able to get the gauge/thickness you want, and this would probably be a lot cheaper (and easier!) than using rosin.
Last edited by sonofsatchmo at Jul 7, 2010,
... i really dont think thats what the rosin is for...
i thought the rosin made less friction between the bow and the strings, and your lokking for more.
try the gorilla snot or some kind of pick with a really good grip to it, like nylon or tortex
Quote by sonofsatchmo
Alternatively, you could try a different style of plectrum e.g. dava plectrums or other ones with the little rubber things for easy grip. You should be able to get the gauge/thickness you want, and this would probably be a lot cheaper (and easier!) than using rosin.

Not really sure about that.

I've tried using picks with concave areas for your thumb (like this http://www.wedgie.com/images/PICKS_DELRIN_01.jpg ) and they felt really weird and not comfortable at all.

I'm aware that the dava picks are different in design but I'm still skeptical. Also I'm not sure if I can get those where I live (Lithuania) easily.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
I use Dunlop tortex and they are pretty good as they aren't varnished/shiny so they don't get so sweaty. If not, that Gorilla Snot does look alright!
After reading this I feel that someone that actually plays a bowed instrument needs to comment: the rosin is to increase friction between the bow and the hair (from the bow) so that the sound can be made. As for putting it on your picks, itll just make your hands feel like you spilled juice or something on them a while ago and didn't clean them off. Rosin costs about 6 bucks for the stuff i use (bass rosin, usually most expensive) so decide if rosin or a juice/soda would be better.
Really, guys?

Classical musician here. Play the violin, viola, cello, and upright bass. The "chalky stuff" is called rosin. It's to increase friction between the hair of the bow and the strings of whichever instrument you're playing. It's not really ideal for increasing grip on a pick.

For what you're looking for, you could try the Dunlop Gator Grip picks. They come with some powder on them to increase grip a little. If you don't like those picks, just coat whatever picks you do prefer in a bit of talcum powder, or dust your hands with some before playing. It'll help the sweating a bit.