and I think they're for an acoustic guitar. I asked the guy to give me any electric guitar strings since they don't have a big variety and everything is cheap there so I didn't even look. So I return home unpack and for some reason they didn't look right to my eyes, they looked more like acoustic strings and the packaging has pictures of acoustic guitars so yeah..

So my question, can I use this on my electric? The gauge isin't big its .009-.045.
Infact they might even be electric strings since I don't have much experience buying strings but just to be on the safe side can I use "acoustic" strings of such gauge on my electric? If I recall the standard for electrics are .009-.042 tho I'm not certain, so it should be alright?
D'Addario. I know acoustic are a larger gauge, it's says on the pack that its "super light"
If they're D'Addario and they're 9 gauge strings, they're likely to be acoustic. Should be fine..
What is the brand of strings and what material are they made of? It should say on the box or pack they came in.

EDIT: Diaddaruo .9's..hmm...I'd say electric.

If they're silver-ish looking, they should be electric. If they're bronze or copper colored, they're probably acoustic. Color is usually a dead giveaway.

And yeah that's an "electric gauge." I use Diaddario .10's, so mine are even bigger than those on electric.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by Ayses
What is the brand of strings and what material are they made of? It should say on the box or pack they came in.

If they're silver-ish looking, they should be electric. If they're bronze or copper colored, they're probably acoustic. Color is usually a dead giveaway.

And yeah that's an "electric gauge." I use .10's, so mine are even bigger than those on electric.

Yeah they're phosphore bronze actually, which is way I started thinking they're probably for an acoustic. Well atleast the E A D strings are bronze, the G B and high E are silverish.
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 7, 2010,
To boot, D'Addario's electric strings have a blue pack with a white circle usually 'XL' (?) written in orange/brown/purple (depending on the gauge). Accoustic packs by them do indeed have accoustic guitars on the pack. It should say so on the front that they're accoustic, anyway...
Hmm...well Diaddario do make really small acoustic strings so that could easily be acoustic. Yes, you can technically use them on an electric guitar. They won't sound amazing most likely because of they way they interact with your pickups, I'd go research into guitar strings and buy some online (they're really cheap and usually free shipping) or go back to the guitar store and get some new ones.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Y00p
To boot, D'Addario's electric strings have a blue pack with a white circle usually 'XL' (?) written in orange/brown/purple (depending on the gauge). Accoustic packs by them do indeed have accoustic guitars on the pack. It should say so on the front that they're accoustic, anyway...

Well then they're most definatelly acoustic strings then. It says "Full bright acoustic tone" which I read when I was going home but I thought it was just a description of the tone. So anyway, still, can I use this on my electric?

Well if they won't sound good then I'll probably go and try to exchange them, tho now I'm gonna look like a dumbass in their eyes
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 7, 2010,
Yeah you technically "can" use it on your electric but it won't sound amazing most likely because your pickups will be like "WHOAH man these aren't electric strings! What do I do?"

I'd just go for some new strings.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Your pickups would only sense the steel cores of the wound strings, but they would "ignore" the bronze windings, so your string-to-string volume ratio would be out of balance, plus your tone would suffer too.