Short-and-sweet: I've read in various places that you're not supposed to wrap the string around the post when restringing a locking tuner. I'm looking into a guitar that has them soon, so I figure it'd be good to know if this is true, and if so, why?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
well what's good about locking tuners is that the whole wrapping is "unnecessary" when you use them... although I don't see how wrapping can harm you other than it's just more unnecessary work...
Guitars:
* Custom "does-it-all" Strat
*'12 James Tyler Studio Elite HD Burning Water (HSH)
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
I don't wrap them around, mine stay in tune just fine, and takes around 5mins to restring a whole guitar rather than 15mins.
it's totally unnecessary. i have some on a fender strat deluxe and they work just fine, speeds up the whole process of restringing. some say that they give better tuning stability than conventional tuners.

just poke the string through the hole, lock it, and wind the peg about half a turn and it's job done, apart from the usual retuning as the strings stretch.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
It's because if you wrap the string around the post, you create a spring and it will take longer to stretch it out enough to not going out of tune anymore. That's the point of the locking tuners: no wraps = no unnecessary springiness = better tuning stability.
Quote by Tinderwet
It's because if you wrap the string around the post, you create a spring and it will take longer to stretch it out enough to not going out of tune anymore. That's the point of the locking tuners: no wraps = no unnecessary springiness = better tuning stability.

well put sir, that's what i had in mind but couldn't quite explain myself.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I use planet waves self trim locking tuner, since it cuts the string when I tune it, it makes it even harder to get it wrapped around the post. What I do is leave some slack when you are stringing, maybe 2 frets worth, that will help get some wind