Hi everyone,

Ok I know that this is a dumb question. You ask "Why post this then?". Well I am asking for your opinion and I want to see what other people think because my own perception of this is probrobly quite distorted. What I ask you today is... do my fingers look ugly when I play the guitar? I've been kind of iffy lately regarding my technique so I decided to look at myself play. I saw a horrid sight. (To see the sight check out the pics) The fingers on my left hand looked really strange. My fingers are pretty skinny but I never thought they would look like that. They seemed to slant alot to one side, especially when I bend notes. It's a really stupid thing for me to say this but when I see other people play guitar (I mean very well skilled players) their fingers look well, prettier. Do you think they look weird? Because I personally like to change this, will it get better once I become more skilled? Also, do you think that this could make my playing worse with such an unhealthy looking shape?

Thanks
Attachments:
Picture0028.jpg
Picture0030.jpg
Last edited by Chaos23x at Jul 7, 2010,
wat

They look just fine to me, man.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Just looks like you have really long fingers. Are you a girl?
I Like Deathcore, Deal With It!
I'd suggest moving your thumb behind the neck (about the centre) so that your fingers run parallel to the nut, it will improve your playing.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
I'd suggest moving your thumb behind the neck (about the centre) so that your fingers run parallel to the nut, it will improve your playing.

First off, the fingers look fine.
Second, about the thumb, I personally feel like being able to use both really helps. Sometimes behind the neck is better, sometimes it isn't (imo).
Quote by Radiomorph
First off, the fingers look fine.
Second, about the thumb, I personally feel like being able to use both really helps. Sometimes behind the neck is better, sometimes it isn't (imo).

Thumb behind the neck with your fingers parallel to the nut allows you better control of your fingers, better stretch and more independence. That's just the way the hand works.
The thumb should only go over the neck for bends/vibrato, where you want to be utilizing the power of the wrist.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Grave Robber
Just looks like you have really long fingers. Are you a girl?

Yeah I'm a girl and I guess I do have long fingers.
Quote by Chaos23x
Yeah I'm a girl and I guess I do have long fingers.

lol I didn't want to offend you if you were a guy and say you had feminine hands
I Like Deathcore, Deal With It!
Quote by Grave Robber
lol I didn't want to offend you if you were a guy and say you had feminine hands

Hehe no problemos :P
Quote by twasbrilling
That is your left hand.

omg yes lol thanks for making me realise I probrobly wouldn't have noticed
Quote by Aleksi
Thumb behind the neck with your fingers parallel to the nut allows you better control of your fingers, better stretch and more independence. That's just the way the hand works.
The thumb should only go over the neck for bends/vibrato, where you want to be utilizing the power of the wrist.

Ooh I get it now. Because my teacher said that behind the neck is better with your reasons above but I started to have my thumb over the neck cos im learning aint it fun by gn'r so i had a lot of bending to do
Aw don't be like that in sure they're not that bad, anyways if u play good no one cares
Maybe I should tell myself that... Thing is I am no good! Well I guess just not amazing
I know it's soo long but maybe I'm acting like it's a bad thing, thanks lol
I would have liked to have long and thin fingers like this. And yes your thread title is confusing as you are not a lefty.
Your hands are "elegant".

I don't usually pay attention to girls hands but I would take your hands out to dinner then invite them up for coffee.

My hands have big palms and long fingers if i stretch mine out it reaches to 8 (frets). How would you feel about a prearranged marriage? Our hands can be joined by law and can mass produce fine-handed babies to start an ideal race.

Ok I'm done.
Thum behind the neck helps for big chords too, at least in my playing.

You have piano fingers, 'nuff said.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Your hands are great.

Thumb over the neck is great, refer to the legends for your answers, like below: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAv5ZuuSxSI

That's not saying you won't want to learn how to play with your thumb behind the neck, as both are important.

I used to play a lot of metal (or try to), and now I have problems with my thumb over the neck - even though these days I've finally got it down pretty good. I regret not learning it better from the start and listening to people say thumb over the neck is a bad habit. Oh how wrong they were.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by elatihc
I would have liked to have long and thin fingers like this. And yes your thread title is confusing as you are not a lefty.

Yeah, sorry I meant that I'm not a lefty and I was just talking about my left hand so I think I may have confused people there.
Quote by jhj
Your hands are "elegant".

I don't usually pay attention to girls hands but I would take your hands out to dinner then invite them up for coffee.

My hands have big palms and long fingers if i stretch mine out it reaches to 8 (frets). How would you feel about a prearranged marriage? Our hands can be joined by law and can mass produce fine-handed babies to start an ideal race.

Ok I'm done.

Why thank you. Wow 8 frets well done lol I'm sorry but I'm going to have to say no about the marriage because I must stay faithful to Cristiano Ronaldo
Quote by elatihc
CRonaldo ?? you heard about that mother for hire right? :p

Haha yes, he's still cute though :P
Quote by twasbrilling
That is your left hand.

OP - your hand doesn't look strange to me, but perhaps with all the reassurance you've realized that by now.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 9, 2010,
Hehe with what everyone's saying I think that I don't need to worry anymore, maybe glad about how my fingers are since everyone's saying good things about it
Ooh Paul Gilbert I've heard alot about him but I don't really know much about him but nows it's all familiar now. He's pretty good lol and his fingers, yeah nice and long (like mine xD) but he hangs his thumb over the neck on Doc's video and he tucks his pinky away? I thought that wasn't a great technique, well not for increasing speed since its not too economical but maybe for him it's alright. I saw another vid where he has good pinky independence so yeah.