I had made a thread a while ago about getting a vox 30 amp, but never got around to it in the end what with money problems. So now i have picked up a really nice telecaster copy guitar, surprisingly nice infact.
So i was looking at some of those 5 watt tube heads to go with one of my 1x12 cabs.
What i want to know is are they more of a joke and a little comic thing rather quiet a good amp for their size. Having no eq doesnt bother, i have a 31 band eq in my bass rack which o can use with this im sure.
The two ones i were looking at were the epiphone valve junior and the VHT special 6.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_valve_junior_head.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/vht_special_6_head_av_sp_6h.htm

So if they are any good which to go for. The vht seems a bit better because of the boost function.

Thanks
Sam H
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
dunno ablut the VHT but the EPiphone is good for blues/classic rock.

Also check out the Blackstar ht-5. It's a versatile little head that can do metal if u want it to.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
i haven't tried the blackstar. it's probably worth a look if versatility is the main thing you want.

I have both the valve junior and the vht special 6 (the combo version, far as i'm aware, they're the same). the vht is better, basically, though it has more background noise (i should add that i have a v2 valve junior, the v3 is supposedly better).

regarding "is it a joke?", that depends. I like them, they're good fun, and you can crank them up without their getting ridiculously loud (though that's still really loud if you share any walls with neighbours, and even if you don't you're probably going to want to stand outside the room while playing ). they're also very vintage in character, you're talking older classic rock as a maximum without using pedals. the valve junior probably takes pedals better than the vht, though, as it's a bit darker-sounding, but the vht has a nicer core tone without pedals, and is more versatile without pedals (as it has a footswitchable boost).

so basically, they're a lot more than a joke if you can use them properly (get them cranked up, or use pedals which you already own, since there's not much point in buying a £100 amp if you have to buy £300's worth of pedals to make it do what you want) and they suit the tones you want to get.

EDIT: regarding the boost function, yeah, it's pretty good, but it's not a boost like changing a channel on a modern, high gain master volume head. It's better to think of the boost as almost having two amps in one- a blackfacey fender-type amp, and a more tweedy fendery-type amp. The blackfacier one (boost off) has scooped mids, is cleaner and has a bit more headroom (neither has tons of headroom), the tweedier one (boost on) is warmer, with more mids, and more gain and less headroom. Both act and react like vintage-style non-master volume type amps, i.e. you have to crank them up to get distortion, and the distortion that's there is mainly power tube and vintage in character. At lower volumes, the boost will only increase the volume a bit (and fatten the tone), it won't be distorted.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 7, 2010,
Well this is only for bedroom fun really, i play bass as my instrument so along as they sound decent enough i dont mind. Ill be playing indie rock and classic rock mainly not much metal anyway.
I like the idea of modding though, and i hear the epiphone is good for that.
Well anything to replace the mg im borrowing at the moment.

How much volume am i looking at with one of these.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
a fair bit. do you share any walls with neighbours?

far as i'm aware the vht is good for mods too, being handwired, if anything it's better for modding than the vj, but as the vj has been out a lot longer, and is owned by a lot more people, a lot more mods exist for it.

Bear in mind you can kill yourself opening a valve amp, so if you don't know what you're doing, don't.

the jet city one is probably worth a look too, if it's anything like the thd univalve it'll get a bit more modern-sounding too as i think it has an extra preamp valve (one extra gain stage? one might be to drive the TMB stack. dunno ), and the master volume would let you get some dirt at lower volumes.

maybe look at the vox ac4, too? I haven't tried it, but the built-in powerscaling might make it a better bet for home use.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Valve Junior fan here (V3). Gets even better with a tube change. Takes pedals really well. Good bang for the buck.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Nope i have no neighbours close enough for something to be too lud, just parents. I cant see the jet city on thomann and i somehow doubt theirs one in wexford. .

Their doesnt seem enough in a way to sway it eitheir, i suppose maybe ill have to just pick blind.

Any info aswell on matching cabs, the 1x12's. Id use one of my own but their so cheap and they match . But if they can get a speaker for that cheap and the rest i cant imagine construction being great.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jul 7, 2010,
Oh and btw the Ht-5 and jet city are too expensive for what im looking for.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
thomann does stock jet city amps, but if it's too dear, that's fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the videos i have seen of the bugera 5 watter (v-5) sounded pretty good.
Guitars
Amps
If you're looking to do classic rock, take a look at Blackheart Little Giant. Good marshall-ish sounds when cranked
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
Quote by fatgoogle
Oh and btw the Ht-5 and jet city are too expensive for what im looking for.

I've seen H-5s on ebay go for $250 and less.
Quote by fatgoogle
How much volume am i looking at with one of these.

A lot. The lead guitarist in my band uses the Epiphone Valve Jr and is able to be heard over drums, a 200 watt bass halfstack, and a 75 watt Spider III, especially when he uses his Tubescreamer for solos.
Quote by Boiller
If you're looking to do classic rock, take a look at Blackheart Little Giant. Good marshall-ish sounds when cranked

other than the epi and vht, this is the other amp i would look at. the blackstar ht-5 wins for versitility, but the other 3 sound better. well, i havent played the vht, but from clips i think it does. and i trust dave since he has one

what it comes down to is what kinda voicing you want. the vht is supposed to be more american sounding, the blackheart is marshally, and the epi is a kinda darker brittish voicing (havent played it in a while, thats what i remember though). vox ac4 sounds vox-y, but i was turned off by the small speaker in the combo. the one with the 10" speaker is supposed to be better though (as is the head).

anyway, i dont think any would disappoint, so listen to some clips and try them if you can.

but yeah, they can get loud, which is fun
Well i honestly dont really know what im going for, ive only really played bass up to this point but wanted something good to play through.

I suppose mainly indie rock to classic rock. Bombay bicycle club-led zeppelin sort of thing. And a bit of incubus thrown in their.

Thanks for all the reply's so far youve been really helpful.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I think im leaning towards The Vj aswell now, after looking on ebay theirs a couple of mod kits that i can buy that look very nice and effective. And even if i havent got it cranked i can still use my DIY fuzz face.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by jof1029
other than the epi and vht, this is the other amp i would look at. the blackstar ht-5 wins for versitility, but the other 3 sound better. well, i havent played the vht, but from clips i think it does. and i trust dave since he has one

what it comes down to is what kinda voicing you want. the vht is supposed to be more american sounding, the blackheart is marshally, and the epi is a kinda darker brittish voicing (havent played it in a while, thats what i remember though). vox ac4 sounds vox-y, but i was turned off by the small speaker in the combo. the one with the 10" speaker is supposed to be better though (as is the head).

hehe, i haven't tried the blakheart or the ht5, so i dunno how the vht compares. but it sounds better (stock) than my V2 valve junior, and is more versatile, though it has more background hum.

agreed about the voicing thing (i haven't tried the vox either but i assume it's voxy).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?