Hey guys, this is my last semester in college as a culinary student, and I'm afraid to get to the kitchen working life because I really don't know how to slot in time to practice, jam, and gig in future. I'll be able to find time for personal practice but to jam with my bands and perform? I've never heard of a kitchen staff who actually has time for himself as the working hours are really long and working days are usually 6 days with unfixed off days. For those with busy working life, how did you guy manage to accommodate time to perform? I don't see any way for me to gig anymore in future and it's really bothering me as I LOVE gigging.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Geez... you've picked one of the hardest things to do as far as a job that you can balance music life with. Essentially, you have two ambitions and they are both in the entertainment/service industry. The hours overlap nearly... perfectly...?

Most of us can tell you what we do, but I'm afraid that won't help you much, as there are probably very few of us who are of the "I only work evenings and weekends and can't really get a night off" kind of crowd. Sure, a lot of us work evenings and weekends, but are looking at 3-4 nights a week, and if they trade a shift with someone, can usually engineer a Friday night off.

That all said, I jammed for a while with a guy who was a kitchen manager. Because he was the manager, he set the schedule, which of course, came with some advantages. Also, because he was the manager, he didn't have to be there *all* the time. He could go in at the beginning of the evening, skip out for a few hours for rehearsal, and be back in time to be there at the end of the evening.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
That's what I thought. Perhaps I'll change to a different career, but I don't know. When I think that I spent so much on this course, it's bothers me a lot. I can't afford to enrol myself in other courses but working without a certificate these days is quite an impossible thing to do. :/
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
My only thought is to create a hybrid tv show of the Iron Chef and Glee Club, where the struggling culinary students/graduates provide their own music at the restaurant because the restaurant couldn't afford to buy music, only to find out that they have rival restaurant staffs all doing the same thing.

But beyond that, you'll have to look for a 9-5 job that is also suited to your education, if that's possible. And beyond that, you could attempt to schedule strictly, or go solo.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The only way I thought before that I could be involved in music and culinary at the same time is like what you said; open a restaurant with live bands performing, but it's definitely not gonna happen anytime soon especially since I've not even graduated. I can only see that happening in like minimum another 10 years time.

TBH, I don't really mind living poor but I really wanna spend my life doing something I enjoy at the same time having enough to live. I wish I continued studying management now.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
TBH, I don't really mind living poor but I really wanna spend my life doing something I enjoy at the same time having enough to live. I wish I continued studying management now.

You can study management on your own time. Step it up at work, pay attention to managers and absorb everything good and bad that they do, imitate the good and work on your own bad...
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by derekgray
You can study management on your own time. Step it up at work, pay attention to managers and absorb everything good and bad that they do, imitate the good and work on your own bad...

+1

I personally want to own and run my own restaurant one day, and being only 19 that goal is a long way off. But in the mean time, I'm working in restaurants learning the ends and outs, doing as many as the jobs as possible. It's a perfect opportunity to learn and to help you obtain your goal.
It is definitely not easy. I'm a chef and it makes playing with a band very tough- weekends are when you're busiest, so gigs are tricky. The upside is #1- it is amazing (and frightening) how many people in the restaurant industry play music, so you'll meet some people...#2 even though you won't have a "set" schedule, you'll probably have something that is fairly consistent. Without going into a whole lot of detail, just out of school- you're probably looking at something like 5-close...Which *Should* leave some practice time in the early afternoon (before work). Or if you are playing with people in the same industry, you can always practice after work- provided you're neighbors won't complain. Also, if you have enough lead time before gig's getting the days off shouldn't be a problem. The more notice you give, the better off you'll be. Also, most managers will work with you if you tell them that you need the same day off each week for something- just try to pick a day early in the week (Monday or Tuesday would be best).
Damn, reality sucks. I think it's gonna be really tough to gig once I start work. Btw, I was wondering is there any chance I'll ever be able to keep long hair in the kitchen? I could always bun it up so I don't quite get what's the fuss about. I've never seen any kitchen staff with hair that exceeds ears.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Yeah, responsibility sucks...You shouldn't have any trouble with keeping long hair- depending on the company. Most kitchens will just make you tuck it under a hat (or wear a hair net). Some will let you by with just wearing a ponytail.

The occasional gig is fairly easy. Gigging extensively is not. But that's probably true of all professions.
Most government health regulations say that hair and beards must be covered by a hair net / beard net.

AFAIK, it is against the law to *require* you to cut your hair. I mean, what if you were Sikh?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.