The neck in my Tele (Maple, I think it has no no finish) is now with some little green spots, and I dont know why. I was wondering if I can sand/polish the neck, in order to remove the spots) and give it a finish (like nitro). Would the nitro finish prevent the appearance of new spots?
sorry but that stuff is finger gunk that you pretty much can't get rid of. you have a satin polyurathane finish on your neck most likely if you can't tell. a nitro finish won't prevent that, it's that sad but inevitable fate of maple fingerboards. i personally think it makes them look cool because it looks well used and sorta bada**.
Squier guitars always end up with that shit. I've never seen a squier that has been used much, with a clean neck.
Quote by Ali-b912
Squier guitars always end up with that shit. I've never seen a squier that has been used much, with a clean neck.

It really has nothing to do with it being a Squier. It's just regulare dirt build up, it happens on every guitar, no matter what brand it is. It's just a matter of wood color/finish type, whether or not it sticks or is easily visible.
Quote by hollitrumpet12
sorry but that stuff is finger gunk that you pretty much can't get rid of. you have a satin polyurathane finish on your neck most likely if you can't tell. a nitro finish won't prevent that, it's that sad but inevitable fate of maple fingerboards. i personally think it makes them look cool because it looks well used and sorta bada**.

I love the used marks on a guitar, but green spots are not bada*s, for me they are ugly... Does this happen on ALL maple necks?
green spots i think might be a little more serious than aged in dirt....it could be mould, is it kept in a dark humid environment....
Quote by ibanezgod1973
green spots i think might be a little more serious than aged in dirt....it could be mould, is it kept in a dark humid environment....

It is like a big spot, all over the neck, right on the edge where the fingerboard ends and the neck starts. For now, it not very visible, but I bought this guitar new, 7 months ago.
post pics `cos for that much dirt on a 7 month old guitar, suggests that you`re not looking after it (sorry to be so blunt) and maybe need some guidance in guitar care
Quote by ibanezgod1973
post pics `cos for that much dirt on a 7 month old guitar, suggests that you`re not looking after it (sorry to be so blunt) and maybe need some guidance in guitar care

I do take care of my guitar. I keep it inside the case while not playing, and I clean the neck/fingerboard/strings with FastFret, everytime I play. I only started using Fast fret after the appearance of the spots. My camera's cell is crappy and my digital camera is f*cked up so, for now, I cannot take any pictures.
there`s your problem, using fast fret on a maple neck...fast fret contains mineral oil which is just as bad as using lemon oil on maple
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
there`s your problem, using fast fret on a maple neck...fast fret contains mineral oil which is just as bad as using lemon oil on maple

Oh, that sucks, I didn't know that! What can I use to clean the strings/fingerboard/neck?
To clean a maple neck...water. Finish on maple necks doesnt allow for mineral cleaners, like household cleaners.The chemicals will f it up so water on a soft rag is the way to go. OR use a used dryer sheet and rub between the frets.It works better if you take the strings off.
Don't use water! It will get through to the wood at the frets, where the finish isn't covering and that is NOT good.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I dont pour water onto the friggin fretboard,lol.Just dampen a squeeze a soft rag and rub it on the board
Fender Std. Strat MIM (sexy)
Shitty Epi LP
Line 6 Spider III 30w