I'm in need of a new 5 String set for recording at the end of the month with my band. I know the two stand bys of Rotosound 66 and Elites but what are some other good strings to get that nice punchy sound?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 7, 2010,
I use Earnie Ball Nickelwounds (50-105) on my ATK. That's usually the bass and string combo that i use in my heavier projects ('heavy' along the lines of Pg.99, Reversal of Man, Deadguy). These are SUPER bright and cut through the mix very well. For a 5'er the equivalent would be the "Power Slinky 5-string Bass Nickel Wound .050 - .135"

However...

Especially for recording, i want something a little less bright. So, on every other bass i have i use (and love) DR Hi-Beams (45-105 and 45-100). These are much more subdued and allow you have better tweakability in your tone/EQ with these right out of the box.

They're expensive though... so when i tour i usually stary out with DR's... but by the end i'm slung with the afformentioned Earnie Balls and GHS Bass Boomers (crap that i can get for cheap on the road).

So yeah... for recording, spend the $40-$50 and get some DRs.
I've been looking at Dean Markley Blue Steel, but I've heard good things, a set comes to almost $60 around here, but that's what I get for living in the UK I guess.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!