Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but have been lurking around the site for years now. Being a long time metal guitarist, I have lately been playing around with some blues/jazz and generally softer music. However, my Schecter obviously isn't giving me the tone I want, so I'm looking to get a good old Stratocaster. I have the opportunity to get my hands on an '01 Strat or a '95 strat, both for $300. Now my apologies for not having more information, but I don't know much about Fenders so I'm not really sure what to ask, all I know is how old they are, both are in good condition. If anyone could give me any advice or any questions to ask the sellers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Alex
It depends, if they are MIM standards, you should be able to get them for a little less because of age. However if they are anything above Standard, you would be getting a pretty good deal. I would play both, and see what you like the most.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Ah gotcha, so you mean if they're like American Deluxes then I'm getting a good deal? How will I know? Can I ask for the serial number and identify them that way?
Gear:
-Schecter Omen 6
-Yamaha Bass
-Fender Acoustic Guitar
-Roland JC120
-Boss Metal Zone pedal
Quote by aelsehamy
Ah gotcha, so you mean if they're like American Deluxes then I'm getting a good deal? How will I know? Can I ask for the serial number and identify them that way?

If its an American Deluxe you are getting an absolute STEAL. But it is most likely a Mexican. You can tell if its Mexican by simply looking at the headstock. If I'm not mistaken you can tell if its a MIM by looking at the front of the headstock, and it should say "Made in Mexico" under either the Fender logo, or the Stratocaster logo. On my MIM Deluxe it says it under the Fender logo.

And yeah you can find out by serial numbers...

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

EDIT: I reread that and made that way to confusing. You can simply tell if its made in Mexico by looking at the headstock. It will say it somewhere.

EDIT2: Also, you will know if its American Deluxe because it will say "Made in America", and at the tip of the headstock it should say Deluxe Series.

EDIT3: This is where it says Deluxe on my Strat.

And where it has the "Made in Mexico"

Its right under the Fender logo if you can't see.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Jul 7, 2010,
Thanks a lot!
Gear:
-Schecter Omen 6
-Yamaha Bass
-Fender Acoustic Guitar
-Roland JC120
-Boss Metal Zone pedal
You could just ask what model it is.
If it's not specified, and at that price, it's a MIM standard.
Quote by aelsehamy
Thanks a lot!

Just let me know if you need anything else!

2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Sorry to bug y'all again but just to clarify, the guy with the '01 strat responded with this serial number, MN9331782, looked it up and it is a Mexican Strat produced somewhere between 1999-2001. Is $300 a pretty good price then for a used MIM Strat? I mean I'm gonna go play it and see if I like it anyway but just want to know if that's a fair price, cause I've seen those Korean Strats and whatnot go for like $80-$100 and I just don't know what the difference is.

Thanks
Gear:
-Schecter Omen 6
-Yamaha Bass
-Fender Acoustic Guitar
-Roland JC120
-Boss Metal Zone pedal
$300 is an average price for a used MIM strat. really your best bet is to play both guitrs and see if they are the one for you.
I feel that $300 is a good price for a MIM Standard of about age 2004-2010, but for a 99-01, I think you may be able to get about $275. Unless its in really good condition, it should be good.

Plus in 98 and 99 the MIM plant got some American parts, so older MIMs are great. I own one myself.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Thanks again guys. I'll be trying it out and maybe bargaining with him a little to get it down to $250 or so, I'm a great haggler Though he might throw in a gig bag anyway so the price might even out.
Gear:
-Schecter Omen 6
-Yamaha Bass
-Fender Acoustic Guitar
-Roland JC120
-Boss Metal Zone pedal
Quote by aelsehamy
Thanks again guys. I'll be trying it out and maybe bargaining with him a little to get it down to $250 or so, I'm a great haggler Though he might throw in a gig bag anyway so the price might even out.

Let me know!

I love seeing when people get new strats.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!