I am an experienced bass player and was thinking about buying a guitar to try to streghthen my music theory skills (notes in chords, thirds fifths, etc.) I woas wondering if it would be better for my music theory to learn all new on guitar or buy a better bass that is easier to play?

Thanks
for music theory, i'd say get a keyboard/piano. Forces you to learn how to read music.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Music theory is independent of whatever instrument you play.

But, like julzius said, getting a keyboard (a cheap one, you don't need one will a bunch of bells and whistles) will be a huge advantage in understanding and applying the concepts.

You said you play bass, I would use both your bass and the keyboard when you're learning and applying concepts. But be sure to know the notes on the bass and on the keyboard.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by DFX11
I am an experienced bass player and was thinking about buying a guitar to try to streghthen my music theory skills (notes in chords, thirds fifths, etc.) I woas wondering if it would be better for my music theory to learn all new on guitar or buy a better bass that is easier to play?

Thanks

i would say buy a guitar if you want to. you can still learn theory on the bass, even chords. i would say a keyboard like the others have said would be good but honestly, you can apply theory to any instrument. so if it were me, id buy a better bass.
Quote by DFX11

Thanks

No reason you couldn't do it on bass.
shred is gaudy music