Poll Options
View poll results: Which Amp
Peavey
2 33%
Carvin
4 67%
Voters: 6.
Hey UG,
I normally hang GB&C but I'm going to hangout here today. I recently ran into 200$ birthday money and I'm looking to get a used tube combo.
1) I'll be running an Epi Les Paul and an MIM strat through this.
2)Yes I will use pedals.
3) I'm currenlty in an Underoath-ish metalcore band (trust me not my choice of music) and a Paramore-ish punk band (not my choice either) so this is the sound I want.

After a good search on craiglist I found this:
Peavey Valveking 112
Carvin XV112

The peavey seems to be reccomended a lot here on UG.
I've never heard of Carvin Amps but the few reviews I read seemed to be good ones. If anybody has any info about this amp please tell.

TL;DR: Carvin XV112 or Peavey Valvekingn 112??
if its not your choice of music, why are you playing in those bands? doesn't it make sense to play what you like?

anyway, i'm not a fan of the valveking at all. i find its very muddy and sounds bad for almost anything you want to play. tubes doesn't always equal good sound.

never tried the carvin though so i cant comment on it.
Quote by User_Name336
if its not your choice of music, why are you playing in those bands? doesn't it make sense to play what you like?

anyway, i'm not a fan of the valveking at all. i find its very muddy and sounds bad for almost anything you want to play. tubes doesn't always equal good sound.

never tried the carvin though so i cant comment on it.

Yea but it's with my friends just fooling not being bored during summer so it's all good.
This worries me about the valveking because my epi les paul is already really muddy until i get money to change pickups....
I don't have any advice on the amp, but get the hell out of those bands! Play some real music! Try Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica, Slayer, that realm of music.
Quote by salgala2000
BeetusMaster: Yes I like those bands that you listed (not slayer) but we don't have a good enough singer unfortunealty... I'm close friends with everybody in the bands (mostly) so It makes it fun... I want to start a prog band!!

I always had a theory that bands who don't have a good singer turn to death metal. Maybe it's true for most death metal bands.
Quote by BeetusMaster
I don't have any advice on the amp, but get the hell out of those bands! Play some real music! Try Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica, Slayer, that realm of music.

Define "real" music. Or are you just trolling?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by BeetusMaster

T... t... t... trooooooollllllll

I would go with the Carvin personally. If it's anything like an XB100/X60, it would be a lot fuller sounding and clearer than the valveking
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I used to own a VK. Not exceptional, but it wasnt a bad little amp. It could get fairly heavey with a boost and eq, however. I actually traded for a Vypyr because I got tired of lugging a pedalboard and the Vypyr is just great soundin for metal overall.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I play in a band similar to underoath and I use a valveking aswell, they're not great stock but once you've changed the tubes and the speaker they sound decent. Also i recommend getting an Overdrive pedal and an EQ pedal to get a good tone out of it!

check out this site, they've got some good info on it: http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm