Hi, im starting this thread because i wanted to ask if its posible to string a guitar with a set of D'addarios EXL115 Blues/Jazz set (.48 to .11) into a regular Fender Strat tuned to EADGBE, without breaking any of the strings due to the high tension of the tuning + the high gauge. Anyone uses a similar setup and would like to share the experience ?
there won't be any problem just rember that you'll have to set the springs of the tremolo in order to have the bridge leveled with the body.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Quote by Edgecrsuher
there won't be any problem just rember that you'll have to set the springs of the tremolo in order to have the bridge leveled with the body.

Yeah, i already have in mind all the details from the setup... surely im going to need 5 springs in order to let the bridge float correctly...

Have your tried that string gauge under that tuning ?, i want to go forward in gauge since i already have myself used to .10 and i want to go to the thickest gauge that my tuning can handle... so i guess that my last stop would be going to .11.
Dick Dale plays a strat, in standard tuning, with 16 - 58 gauge strings. Strings are made so that although the higher gauge you go, the tension will be higher, the extra thickness of the string will mean that it wont break.
As long as you set up your bridge and intonation correctly, you can go higher than 11's if you want.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
It won't damage the strings or the guitar (provided the truss rod etc are set up normally). All gauges are tested at EADGBe or higher, otherwise people would be breaking strings all the time.
Quote by MrWeenie
Dick Dale plays a strat, in standard tuning, with 16 - 58 gauge strings. Strings are made so that although the higher gauge you go, the tension will be higher, the extra thickness of the string will mean that it wont break.
As long as you set up your bridge and intonation correctly, you can go higher than 11's if you want.

Wow !, thats insane !... i thought that SRV was crazy because of playing .13 under a half step down tuning but this guy really has some balls...
well 16-58 isn't that bad. it just means that all the strings are balanced the same way.
like 16-70 or 80 would required a double truss on most normal guitars. or it would only be for a couple of hours.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i use .11's for bottom string but you dont need to add springs, I still have 3 on. Im gonna work my way up to .13's so i'll need more springs....
Thanks for all the input... one last thing i wanted to know

When im going towards heavier strings that means that i can use the action of my guitar a little bit more lower than before since there is more tension on the strings?
i think maybe? I run 12s with a straight neck, no relief and less then a quarter sized space at the 12th fret.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer