So, short version, I love the Tubescreamer tone on a guitar. I'm a bassist though. I know about the bassdrivers and things like that, and while they're good and I'm looking into getting one for my normal tone, I've been thinking about adding a tubescreamer or the like to my pedalboard for a little extra boost and a change in tone for the times I have to pull out a bass solo. I've seen reviews of the TS-9, obviously, but the bass response isn't something that's touched on a lot in it. Is it good, bad, meh? Any of the clones you might recommend instead?
Strangely, this is one of the most often argued things I see on music forums.

Some people swear by the originals (check e-bay for some of the insane prices the originals are going for), claiming later models used inferior parts that caused subtle tonal changes.

This may be of help to you,
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/346068-tube-screamer-faq-version-1-a.html

I know some people have gotten their TS modded and are quite happy w/ the results. Maybe, you could take a stock TS clone and have it modded to your specific specifications?
I have a Visual Sound Double Trouble, and it has a bass boost switch on it. It's supposed to be two independent clones of the TS808 circuit.

Visual Sound makes another single unit called that Route 808 that would suit your needs better.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-V2-Series-V2RT808-Route-808-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150484
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I have a Ibanez TS-9 (newer model, nothing fancy) and I don't notice much of anything in way of bass response. It's mostly mids and has a tone knob that seems to help high/low mids depending on where it's set. Maybe check out Maxon? They make TS type pedals and while more expensive seem to have a bunch of different kinds. Checking them out may help point you in the right direction with what components to look for if nothing else.
ive got the keeley modded ts-808, ermm ye its got really sweet mid range tone, as said before obviously you can adjust via the tone knob
Quote by Nightgaunt
Strangely, this is one of the most often argued things I see on music forums.

Some people swear by the originals (check e-bay for some of the insane prices the originals are going for), claiming later models used inferior parts that caused subtle tonal changes.

This may be of help to you,
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/346068-tube-screamer-faq-version-1-a.html

I know some people have gotten their TS modded and are quite happy w/ the results. Maybe, you could take a stock TS clone and have it modded to your specific specifications?

That's a hell of an info-packed link! I'll check that out, thanks. I'm also gonna try to bring my bass down to the local used guitar shop and try out a couple(he has a TS-9 and a couple clones, I'm just never thrilled, the guy's sold me a couple eh pieces of gear and doesn't seem to know much about bass).
Keeley modded ts-808.
Easy enough mod to do yourself too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 to Cathbard. For guitar I think the Keeley mods are okay but they work great on bass.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i have no idea about bass (i don't play bass), but i know that the stock/unmodded tubescreamer has the reputation of cutting bass (that's one of the things which help it to tighten up your tone). If you want something tubescreamery, you want something modded or something based on a tubescreamer but with a bass boost switch (or just better bass response). Not a 100% exact clone, in other words.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i have no idea about bass (i don't play bass), but i know that the stock/unmodded tubescreamer has the reputation of cutting bass (that's one of the things which help it to tighten up your tone). If you want something tubescreamery, you want something modded or something based on a tubescreamer but with a bass boost switch (or just better bass response). Not a 100% exact clone, in other words.

this is pretty similar to what i was thinking. modded tubescreamer or a something that isnt a perfect clone. the mid hump is great for tightening things up, but it does take away some of the low end.
Quote by Cathbard

Keeley modded ts-808.
Easy enough mod to do yourself too.
and this was my first thought as a recomendation. ive got the keeley mod on my ts, and it flattens out the response nicely, especially helping the low end. out of sheer morbid curiosity im going to try it with my bass later.
Keeley/Analogman TS-9 with the 808 mod (808s are a ripoff unless they're original) or a handwired mojo Fulldrive II with the white knobbies.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i would look into a digitech bad monkey. i use it on my valve king rig to tighten things up. it is very tubescreamer-esque, execpt it has bass and treble knobs instead of just a single tone knob. i have that rig set up really bassy becusse i run it into both twelves and fifteens on guitar. it works wonderfully.

if digitech made everything this good, i would be a faithful customer, but they dont, so i just like my bad monkey.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jof1029
this is pretty similar to what i was thinking. modded tubescreamer or a something that isnt a perfect clone. the mid hump is great for tightening things up, but it does take away some of the low end.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A mod to the input/output capacitors can change the bass response (I think).
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
after doing numerous side by sides with the original 808 (yes one from the day), the current reissue, the current hand wired 808, the ts9 and a few other the warmest were the bbe green screamer or the VS route 808. also i think they were the best value for the money.

but i haven't tried the keeley modd'd ones to say how they compare to that one.
The Turbo Tubescreamer has some different modes with better bass response, you might consider looking into them?
Quote by celticstorm84
I have a Ibanez TS-9 (newer model, nothing fancy) and I don't notice much of anything in way of bass response. It's mostly mids and has a tone knob that seems to help high/low mids depending on where it's set. Maybe check out Maxon? They make TS type pedals and while more expensive seem to have a bunch of different kinds. Checking them out may help point you in the right direction with what components to look for if nothing else.

I went up to my music store yesterday to get bass strings, and I saw the Maxon version of the TS-808, it was $150!!!! I bought my Ibanez TS9 fro $120 from the same place, idk whats going on with prices, but since when is Maxon more expensive than the original?

On topic, the Tubescreamers are designed to cut bass, so for your purpose it would back fire really bad.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I went up to my music store yesterday to get bass strings, and I saw the Maxon version of the TS-808, it was $150!!!! I bought my Ibanez TS9 fro $120 from the same place, idk whats going on with prices, but since when is Maxon more expensive than the original?
Maxon is made by the original company that used to make the first Tube Screamers...They've always cost more.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!