Hi, im starting this thread because i wanted to ask if its posible to string a guitar with a set of D'addarios EXL115 Blues/Jazz set (.48 to .11) into a regular Fender Strat tuned to EADGBE, without breaking any of the strings due to the high tension of the tuning + the high gauge. Anyone uses a similar setup and would like to share the experience ?
Sure, you can do it.

You should look to make sure the vibrato isn't being pulled out too much though, and after a day or two, check to see if the neck is holding up (IE, if you have to make changes).
Quote by TheStratGod
Hi, im starting this thread because i wanted to ask if its posible to string a guitar with a set of D'addarios EXL115 Blues/Jazz set (.48 to .11) into a regular Fender Strat tuned to EADGBE, without breaking any of the strings due to the high tension of the tuning + the high gauge. Anyone uses a similar setup and would like to share the experience ?

You are only using it the way it's meant to be used. I play .012-.052 sets in standard tuning without a problem. Jazz or bluegrass players regularly use even higher gauges in standard tuning with no problems.
The only thing you might have an issue with is binding at the nut. I know most nuts handle 9's or 10's in standard sets with no alteration. Not sure if 11's would be a problem or not...

Quote by Tinderwet
You are only using it the way it's meant to be used. I play .012-.052 sets in standard tuning without a problem. Jazz or bluegrass players regularly use even higher gauges in standard tuning with no problems.

...But apparently not
Last edited by Ratraisin at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by Ratraisin
The only thing you might have an issue with is binding at the nut. I know most nuts handle 9's or 10's in standard sets with no alteration. Not sure if 11's would be a problem or not...

...But apparently not

I of course opened up the nut slots and set the entire guitar up for that gauge. I would do that with .011s too.
no you can do it. the trem/vibrato just makes it a pain in the ass but it's easily doable.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Tinderwet
I of course opened up the nut slots and set the entire guitar up for that gauge. I would do that with .011s too.

That makes sense. Note to TS: You could crack yer nut if you don't follow Tinderwet's example.