Those emails that show climate scienists manipulating data? Yeah, about that

Page 1 of 3
They don't.
The Independent Climate Change Email Review was set up by the University of East Anglia (UEA) after more than 1,000 e-mails were hacked from its servers.

Climate "sceptics" claimed the e-mails showed that UEA scientists manipulated and suppressed key climate data. But these accusations are largely dismissed by the report. The review found nothing in the e-mails to undermine Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports.

The review, chaired by former civil servant Sir Muir Russell, has spent months reading submissions sent in by climate scientists and their critics and interviewing key players, notably scientists within the university's Climatic Research Unit (CRU). It concludes that "their rigour and honesty as scientists are not in doubt". This was one of the main charges that sceptics had levelled against CRU researchers.

However, it says "there has been a consistent pattern of failing to display the proper degree of openness", notable over complying with Freedom of Information (FoI) requests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10538198.stm

So these emails that prove climatologists were manipulating data really just prove that they weren't very open about their data. Jumping to conclusions has never been more fun, eh?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

interviewing key players, notably scientists within the university's Climatic Research Unit (CRU)

Not going to be any bias there then.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
Not going to be any bias there then.

Exactly. Why wouldn't the scientific community pressure the press to release something to cover their asses?
love is love // return to dust
Anyone who knows how the scientific process operates knew this a couple of days after they came out. There wasn't even anything in the content of them that suggested anything untoward unless one was unfamiliar with terminology.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Anyone who knows how the scientific process operates knew this a couple of days after they came out. There wasn't even anything in the content of them that suggested anything untoward unless one was unfamiliar with terminology.

You have to remember who's making those claims...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by tancanada
Exactly. Why wouldn't the scientific community pressure the press to release something to cover their asses?

I presume you believe absolutely nothing that you read then.

Here's a thing though, some of the people who dislike global climate change and its implications (for example, most manufacturing companies) have far more power and money. Surely if the press were up for conspiring they'd be the ones with the influence, no?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I don't believe anyone anymore these days.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
I thought that everyone knew that this "climategate" nonsense was just exactly that.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Anyone who's bothered to watch a different news channel than Fox knew that already. It's an argument about wording, not content. Too bad climate change deniers can't tell the difference.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 7, 2010,
It took them that long to come to that conclusion?
I think all of the students in ENV (school of environmental sciences) at UEA knew that a few days at the most after it was all covered in the press.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Sometimes I forget I live in the hotbed (lolpun) of climate change deniery. Senator Inhofe is from my state ffs.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Sometimes I forget I live in the hotbed (lolpun) of climate change deniery. Senator Inhofe is from my state ffs.

I lived less than 500m away from the CRU for 8 months
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

When the whole climategate thing came out my physics teacher decided to brainwash the class into believing that global warming is a big myth and the Earth is actually cooling blah blah blah...

Ah... if only I still had him now so I could rub this in his face...
Bravo, House. It still boggles my mind that people deny climate change.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

Some people still believe the universe is 6000 years old.
Get out, meet people, appreciate the vast scope of human ignorance.
Quote by MightyAl
Some people still believe the universe is 6000 years old.
Get out, meet people, appreciate the vast scope of human ignorance.

I live in the American South, sir. I get plenty of that.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

Sea, I don't know weather to pity these people or scald them.

I'm tired and lonely leave me alone.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by TheQuailman
Ignorance + Jebus = Young Earth Creationism. Look it up, these guys are totally for real.

They trust their pastors, but lyin scientists be gettin em pissed.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
They trust their pastors, but lyin scientists be gettin em pissed.

I never thought anyone honestly thought the earth is only 6,000 years old. I'm a Christian and all, at our church they don't teach that, I was talking about it with my sunday school teacher last week, the bible doesn't say how long it took God to teach Adam all the stuff he did, and it was a lot. Same goes for Eve, talking and teaching those two alone could have been millions of years. And it doesn't say when He made the earth, it says in the beginning he made the heavens and earth, and His spirit hovered over the deep. How long were they made before people? I believe that there's no way to tell how old the earth is, but the dating systems we have now are a fair guide, at least for what we need them for.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I live in the American South, sir. I get plenty of that.

Well, at least you get lots of southern girls, with they way they talk. Apparently, it's a knock out.
The Climategate scandal was proven to be a hoax, therefore we now have undeniable proof that global warming is real.

If it's warm, it's global warming. If it's cold, it's climate change. So I've come to the conclusion that even if it's true it means nothing.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
^No one said that
Quote by sglover34479
I never thought anyone honestly thought the earth is only 6,000 years old. I'm a Christian and all, at our church they don't teach that, I was talking about it with my sunday school teacher last week, the bible doesn't say how long it took God to teach Adam all the stuff he did, and it was a lot. Same goes for Eve, talking and teaching those two alone could have been millions of years. And it doesn't say when He made the earth, it says in the beginning he made the heavens and earth, and His spirit hovered over the deep. How long were they made before people? I believe that there's no way to tell how old the earth is, but the dating systems we have now are a fair guide, at least for what we need them for.

See that's called sensibility. Sadly, a fair amount of churches go for the hyper-literal, Earth-made-in-seven-days-and-only-seven-days argument, followed by never really considering how much time could have passed before they decided apples looked pretty tasty after all. They tend to date things by the family genealogies or smth. The one my family go to did this. The pastor even cited some "evidence" by some "scientist" (who was lyin, and gettin me pissed, but that's beside the point) that purported to prove Earth couldn't be more than like 6500 years old or something.

He also said Columbus was guided by God to find America and bring the Lord to the natives, when it was pretty obvious he just wanted money.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by sglover34479

You sir are one of the few religious people whom don't cause me to want to drill a hole in my head. It's nice to see some people follow religion without becoming naive and ignorant to science.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
It's just more liberal media propaganda, scientists be lyin', I'm telling you!
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by MightyAl
Well, at least you get lots of southern girls, with they way they talk. Apparently, it's a knock out.

I bet you wish they were california girls, eh?

Climategate FTWTF!
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by sglover34479

Exactly how I feel.
Quote by MightyAl

The Southern drawl is, perhaps, the single most annoying noise that exists for me.

I can't fvcking wait to leave here.

Also:

Quote by rgrockr
The Climategate scandal was proven to be a hoax, therefore we now have undeniable proof that global warming is real.

If it's warm, it's global warming. If it's cold, it's climate change. So I've come to the conclusion that even if it's true it means nothing.

There are so many scientific inaccuracies in that statement.

Quote by John Frusciante
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by rgrockr

Anyone with any knowledge of the matter understands that the effects of the rise in average Global temperature directly, and strongly, affects weather systems - this leads to more extreme (and more frequently extreme) weather, both hot and cold.

But yano, haters gonna hate.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Ah, I'll never get tired of that picture.

same, I love the little random upside down horse in the background. Never realised it was there till someone pointed it out to me.

Some guy came round my dad's house (He wanted my dad to do a job for him) a while ago and was telling us how he thought that global warming is actually just a big lie that was set up by the government to "make us do more". I almost prolapsed trying to keep my laughter in.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by tancanada

You ever meet a research scientist? Even scientists at the same institution... in the same department... spend all of their time actively trying to debunk one another. Money for research is harder to come by than most people think, plus a lot of them seem to get satisfaction (and some fame) out of proving other people wrong anyway.

That's the number one reason I always found the conspiracy theories silly--like there could be a huge conspiracy in a field that highly competitive and full of professional rivalries.

Quote by rgrockr

To be fair, everything is absolutely meaningless.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jul 7, 2010,
I can't just let the idiocy continue. Climate change doesn't mean "global cooling;" climate change involves the change in temperature, be it warming or cooling (although the world IS warming) AND the change in weather patterns across the globe due to the change in temperature.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by iro-bot31
Exactly how I feel.

Quote by Todd Hart
You sir are one of the few religious people whom don't cause me to want to drill a hole in my head. It's nice to see some people follow religion without becoming naive and ignorant to science.

Thank you very much, to both of you. It means a lot.
Quote by PussyPunk182
same, I love the little random upside down horse in the background.

Wait wat. I don't see it.
MATTERHORN
Erm...anyone who did even a small amount of research on this subject knew this a long time ago
PM me for newts
Page 1 of 3