http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi0YxfgGoi4

What should I learn to be able to play like this (besides technique and creativity ;o)? I've tried learning Jazz theory but I found that it didn't really interest me that much and it also didn't bring me closer to playing like this. What scales does he use? It doesn't sound like he's using (only) the blues scale (probably also dorian and myxolydian?). And what else is important?

Soldier Poet
Last edited by Soldier Poet at Jul 7, 2010,
I'm not an expert but my honest guess on the scales part is I think its mainly the blues scale. Only modes I really use are Ionion (major), Aeolian (minor), and Phrygian (3rd of major). Idk about mixolydian really but as for the scales it looks like pentatonic but the chords look like inversions of diminished chords. If I remember correctly a diminished chord is a chord made up of major 3rds. Like each note is a major 3rd.

That just my 2 cents dont quote me on that though.
So basically... you want to learn jazz without learning jazz?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
-Listen to jazz
-Learn jazz orientated theory
-Improve your ear
-Transcribe
-Practice for a few years
-Practice for a few more

Simply giving you some scales will do nothing.
Quote by Soldier Poet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi0YxfgGoi4

What should I learn to be able to play like this (besides technique and creativity ;o)? I've tried learning Jazz theory but I found that it didn't really interest me that much and it also didn't bring me closer to playing like this. What scales does he use? It doesn't sound like he's using (only) the blues scale (probably also dorian and myxolydian?). And what else is important?

Soldier Poet

Forget scales...

First of all, what he's playing isn't that complicated theory wise. Just minor blues.

What is impressing you is the technique part. He's playing fingerstyle which is allowing him to use a lot of syncopation. Some walking bass scattered in between.

Figure out the main riff and then try this...

Am7 | Bmb5 - E7#9 | Am7

That should get you started...
The thing with the whole jazz learning is, is that it did learn me something but not something about this. And this was my goal, kind of.

I had already found out the main riff for a bit, thanks for the chord progression, I'll try to practise with it.
Quote by jogogonne
He's playing fingerstyle which is allowing him to use a lot of syncopation.

Those two things are completely unrelated though.

Anyway TS, that blues thing is just the very basic tonality of what's going on, he's doing a huge amount of pretty advanced chord work around that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Those two things are completely unrelated though.

Anyway TS, that blues thing is just the very basic tonality of what's going on, he's doing a huge amount of pretty advanced chord work around that.

You could do syncopation with just a flatpick technique, but it would be harder and sound goofy. Fingerpicking is synonymous with syncopation...

http://www.ehow.com/video_2259941_all-syncopation-blues-fingerpicking.html

As far as being advanced chord wise, depends what you consider advanced. He's really just using extensions of the parent chords of Am blues.