Went for my first lesson yesterday, my teacher spent the first 15 minutes asking me stupid questions while I just kept saying "alright let's do this, let's go, I'm ready!" I heard him play guitar for maybe 30 seconds, he made mistakes and at this point I'm not sure he's qualified to be an instructor.

I told him my objective was to get better, I want him to tell me what he thinks I'm lacking at and help me overcome those obstacles, told him I've hit a wall in my learning. What does he do? Makes me do really easy hand exercises and the natural minor/major scales until the time is up.

He did a poor job at answering my questions about modes and 7 chords.

At the end of the lesson I asked him how I could become an instructor one day, he told me at their store it's more about personality (no kidding). Says he has 25 years of experience as well.

He was nervous when playing in front of me, his hands were shaking, he was not confident.

I've been playing for 7 years, have taken lessons before and was very impressed in what I learned, so I went back and got this silly new instructor (I guess the old guy opened a restaurant).

Anyway guys...just thought I would share my grief...it sucks when you pay a few hundred dollars to receive bad lessons. I'm considering asking to switch instructors but how badly would that crush this guy? Maybe I just don't need lessons anymore, maybe I should just keep practicing. I'm definitely not a beginner.

Thanks for reading,

FIRST THREAD!
ive had this before, so i switched instructors and the place im at is very helpful and the instructors actually teach, so id suggest you swich instructors, it may crush the guy but if your not learning anything why stay with him??,, also, a few hundered?? i pay 35 usd per lesson, and they very very good lessons. if your any chance near canyon lake texas, thats where im at and ill tell ya where the place is
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
a few hundred dollars?!! man if ure not happy with the guy ( who sounds like a complete tool) then by all means change. Its your money which you invested in a service which is meant to help you improve. I would be fuming if it was me...
Quote by 3hta_bryce
ive had this before, so i switched instructors and the place im at is very helpful and the instructors actually teach, so id suggest you swich instructors, it may crush the guy but if your not learning anything why stay with him??,, also, a few hundered?? i pay 35 usd per lesson, and they very very good lessons. if your any chance near canyon lake texas, thats where im at and ill tell ya where the place is

lol no I mean I pay a few hundred up front, it's like 20 CAD per lesson which is 30 minutes. So I got like 8 lessons for the summer and there are other instructors which I could ask to change to.

I'll prbly ride this out for another lesson or two and see if anything changes. But I was so pumped up last night for this, played guitar all day to prepare...and was just utterly dissapointed. I came home and just put the guitar aside...I thought I would be playing all night with what I've been taught...but I only learned natural major/minor which actually I didn't really know which is funny considering I can do the whole neck using the modes and pentatonics.
Last edited by super_mike at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by super_mike
..but I only learned natural major/minor which actually I didn't really know which is funny considering I can do the whole neck using the modes and pentatonics.

Maybe your teacher doesn't suck. Maybe he realized he couldn't effectively teach you the things you asked about until you were more familiar with these 2 VERY important scales. (and the basics in general)

It's possible that you have unrealistic exceptions, both of your lessons.... and of your own current knowledge/abilities.

I mean you "know" modes all over the neck, but you don't know the Major scale? I would have done the same as your teacher.... started you back with the basics and built you up from there.

As a teacher, I've noticed that the kids that come in looking to be impressed, often do the worst. Their quickness to judge often interferes with their ability to learn.

Now, there are bad teachers out there, and yours MAY be one. But at this point, I think your expectations may be the issue.

try learning what he showed you.... see where it goes from there.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Maybe your teacher doesn't suck. Maybe he realized he couldn't effectively teach you the things you asked about until you were more familiar with these 2 VERY important scales. (and the basics in general)

It's possible that you have unrealistic exceptions, both of your lessons.... and of your own current knowledge/abilities.

I mean you "know" modes all over the neck, but you don't know the Major scale? I would have done the same as your teacher.... started you back with the basics and built you up from there.

As a teacher, I've noticed that the kids that come in looking to be impressed, often do the worst. Their quickness to judge often interferes with their ability to learn.

Now, there are bad teachers out there, and yours MAY be one. But at this point, I think your expectations may be the issue.

try learning what he showed you.... see where it goes from there.

Point taken, I plan to learn the scales for sure. I told him that I may be lacking the extreme basics but have skipped ahead into other things. When he asked me to play the major I played Ionian, and when he asked me to play a minor I played Aeolian, obviously I'm missing something and I agree with you there.

The thing is, he was just not very good at explaining things etc. Gave me a bad impression. All I came home with is his tab for natural major/minor in a 30min session. I dunno....I asked him if there was a book he wanted me to buy because writing down tabs takes a long time. He literally spent several minutes writing the tabs, then was like "ok now why don't you practice that while I look over at these books for 5 min", I don't need to practice that....I'll practice it when I go home. I need guidance, points, tips, tricks...not basic scales to practice using valuable instructor time.

I had a wicked teacher before so my expectations were kind of high.
Last edited by super_mike at Jul 7, 2010,
What munky said is spot on the money.

It doesn't matter about teachers making mistakes either, they're human and it happens.

I wish my old instructor would have started me off on basics instead of chucking me straight into sweeping and string skipping (i was intermediate at the time). Sometimes it's better to let a teacher take you back to scratch and make sure your technique and basic theory is tight before moving you on - you'll advance quicker this way than if he tried to impress you with things that were either beyond your capability and/or didn't correct technique flaws from the ground up.

He literally spent several minutes writing the tabs, then was like "ok now why don't you practice that while I look over at these books for 5 min", I don't need to practice that....I'll practice it when I go home. I need guidance, points, tips, tricks...not basic scales to practice using valuable instructor time.

I can see your point on this - i woulda made the student play through them maybe ten consecutive times to see where any problems technique-wise lay...but if he's not even watching while you're doing it you need to man up and tell him.
Last edited by GilbertsPinky at Jul 7, 2010,
The fact of the matter is you wanted an experience out of your teacher that he didn't give you. You should either tell him you want something different, or get a different teacher. You shouldn't be paying hundreds of dollars for something you don't want, regardless of what anyone says on here. Assuming what you said is accurate of the actual experience, you paid a substantial amount of money to be able to practice a few scales that you already knew (albeit by different names). Not acceptable. A teacher should be able to take what you want to learn and push you to that point.

That's just my take though. I'd rather a teacher push the limits of my ability rather than paying him/her hundreds of dollars to mull around a few scales and chords that I likely already know.
Any teacher that teaches you scales by giving you tab sucks. Period. Get rid of him. You should learn the scale pattern first, and specific ways to play that pattern on the guitar second. In fact, he should have made you find a way to play the pattern instead of tabbing it out for you.
give him another lesson, dont make snap judgements about the skill of someone who you have only heard for 'maybe 30 seconds'. maybe he hadn't warmed up or was borrowing a guitar. maybe your wrong. Bad instructers exist and if, after another lesson you feel you cant learn from him by all means switch.
Quote by dweb23
a few hundred dollars?!! man if ure not happy with the guy, the music teacher ( who sounds like a complete tool) then by all means change. Its your money which you invested in a service which is meant to help you improve. I would be fuming if it was me...

Agree with dweb here. By all means bud, go get yourself a new music teacher if you don't see yourself improving with your current one. When he played and made some mistakes, that is a sign for you to look for a new one.
Last edited by ndrewoods at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by super_mike
I was so pumped up last night for this, played guitar all day to prepare...and was just utterly dissapointed. I came home and just put the guitar aside...I thought I would be playing all night with what I've been taught.

Well, all is not lost, because you did learn a very valuable life lesson:

Getting your hopes up is rarely ever worth it in real life.

I'm not telling you to not have dreams and shoot for the moon, what I'm saying is don't get your hopes up, because 99.9% your going to be disappointed. Just take a situation for what it is, and not get all hyped up in your mind about it, and you'll find that it's much more satisfying when it becomes a positive thing.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
He's asking questions, and you're saying..."Lets just do this" It sounds like your trying to lead from the student side of things.

I don't know what you need to learn, but if you have technique all that tells me is you've practiced it. It doesn't tell me at all about your knowledge or ability as a guitar player.

There's got to be a certain humility to being a student. It sounded like you painted this guys agenda for him. You diagnosed your own illness before you went to the doctor.

I'm not suggesting that he's the guy for you, there's several red flags for me as well in what he did, but I'm saying, you may not be helping things either.

I'm not trying to bash you, it sounds like a lot of whats going on may be valid...but communication is the essence. I always ask a prospective student about their goals, and try to understand where they are lacking, and then build upon that. He should do the same...maybe that was the point of the questions to start with.

Not everyone that says they are a teacher...can teach.

Best,

Sean
OOO I had a similar experience with a guitar teacher. He would talk for at least 1/2 the lesson and then let me play something on the guitar. And on the last lesson of the course, he talked for the WHOLE thing. We didn't even get to touch the guitar!

He also didn't have a lesson plan, but then I find that a lot of music teachers don't have lesson plans, which I think is important.
just set some goals together.

i suggest you set the long term goals, and the teacher will set the short term ones.
by long term you could say 4 lessons.
if you set an unrealistic goal for the 4 lessons, the teacher should be able to assess that and tell you what you can achieve in that time.
if you don't trust or respect him or vica versa. you are wasting each other's time .
The problem is for newbies is that a lot of the times you might not even know what you're getting into or what type of goal should be set. You might just want to play for leisure and improve casually.
Demand your money back for poor service and then get a new teacher.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!