Hello my name is Brian Potter as my username suggests. I have recently unearthed an old guitar of mine from the cellar to show to someone(who was told I had a guitar he might be interested in buying). It is a black with white plastic on the front, 3 pickups, vibrato, 21 frets. It is a fender stratocaster I bought back in the 60's when I wanted to play guitar. It hasn't seen the light of day since then and is still in its original case! Anyway this guy who plays guitar in a semi-local band has offered me $450. This seems pretty fair as it is quite old but in good condition(on account if it not been played for 40 years!). I just wanted a second opinion so I typed in electric guitar forum and this came up so please tell me if this is fair, or weather I'm robbing him? Whatever thanks in advance.

edit:serial number is 57890
Last edited by BrianPotter at Jul 7, 2010,
Don't sell it for that much. He is robbing you... If it is an American strat, and in good condition, then it is worth at least $2000. Probably a lot more, I'm not an expert appraiser.

Also, pictures of the body and headstock would be nice.

Edit: I've done some looking online, and they are priced up towards $15000 - $20000 I was totally wrong.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Last edited by The3818919 at Jul 7, 2010,
If the guitar is truly a sixties strat and You are for real, You are looking at some serious cash for that 'relic". As in several thousands of dollars. He may know more than he is letting on looking for a killer score. Just look at the prices on ebay.
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
The serial number puts your guitar around 1961. You might have dug up a boatload of money.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
wow i hope this is real, cd u please put up any pic if possible?
Just checking on ebay and prices for a real 1961 stratocaster range from $ 9000 up to $ 35000 (!!!). But I'll take it from your hands for $ 500 if he's only offering you $ 450...
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Photos and the exact year of purchase(What with Fender's decline after CBS bought them) would be extremely helpful, but even if it's a CBS strat, people will pay upwards of $2,000 at the least if it's in good condition with the original case. He'd be getting it for less than Fender's bottom-end stratocaster new nowadays, do not sell him it, he's swindling you.

Edit: Holy crap, a 1961. Hold onto that thing, if it's in good condition you can get a few thousand from a collector easy. That thing is one of the rarest guitars nowadays, an old pre-CBS stratocaster. Can we please see it?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 7, 2010,
tell him you'll sell it to him, when you see him punch him in the face for trying to jew you!
If you take $450 for that I do believe you are crazy sir.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Quote by BrianPotter
|How do you put pictures up? I can't figure it out. Its probably really obvious thank you.

1. Upload to hosting site(ie, photobucket)
2. Right-click and copy image URL/copy image address depending on OS.
3. wrap (Invalid img) tags around the copypasted URL.
4. Sweet, sweet, glorious pre-CBS stratty goodness.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If that is a pre-CBS strat i think that is worth a great deal of money.
Pics or you be trollin'!!!
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by slash4114
Pics or you be trollin'!!!

This. Look at his other posts... Troll for sure.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe