Hey guys. I hate to start a new thread, but...

I'm looking into getting my first tube amp. Right now, I'm picking between the Peavey Valveking 112 50W combo and the Peavey 6505 112 60W combo since I've heard these are good tube amps for high gain.

Does anyone have any experience with these amps? Which one should I get? But most importantly, what's the main difference between these two?

Thanks.
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
i like the 6505 more. mainly because i like the way it sounds more
Ibanez rg770
Washburn x50proq
Ibanez rg7621
peavey 6505 plus combo
Boss Ge 7
vox satchurator
Cae mc404 wah
Peavey Valveking is a decent tube amp.....but it doesn't exactly have what I would call a "great tone". With the Valveking, you'll want to modify it or use many pedals.

The 6505 is a beast. Its in a completely different league then the Valveking. Just make sure that you like the tone before you get it. Its one of the "go to amps" for metal.

For me, i would get the 6505.....as long as there are no financial considerations. Consider this: The Valveking is basically Peavey's "Entry Level" tube amp. Whereas their 6505 is a well known and respected amp that professionals use on stage.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
the 6505 is the better amp, but if you don't like the tone, it does you no good. It's very distinctive. Try it out and you'll know what I mean. the Valveking is pretty versatile but you'll have to do some slight (or not slight) modding for it to really sound good. Or play with some pedals in front of it, the valveking does take pedals rather well.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
The Valveking, as someone said, requires some modification to sound nice. It has better cleans than the 6505 though.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
The Valveking, as someone said, requires some modification to sound nice. It has better cleans than the 6505 though.

+1

Cleans are a bit nicer on the VK, but it benefits greatly from a tube, speaker swap...and an OD, EQ pedal to really come alive. Transformer swap if you're really into modding it. The 6505 does metal great out of the box...if that's what you're going for.
The VK will require some mods if you are going to run it stock and want to do some thick heavy metal stuff with it. However if you are running some pedals already and want to upgrade to tube the VK might be what you want. Though if you are playing music more suited to the 6505 go for it. Either way can't go too wrong with a Peavey they are solid MF'ers pretty durable and are reliable.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
I haven't heard very many good things about the batches of 6505 combos that have been coming out recently, it seems like the crazy demand for them caused Peavey to cut the quality in half with them.

If you want to venture into more than just metal, look at the Valveking, if your going to play nothing but metal, then look at the 6505.
Quote by amatas83
Either way can't go too wrong with a Peavey they are solid MF'ers pretty durable and are reliable.

My ultra's built like a tank. I think you could toss it around quite a bit and still work perfectly.

Oh, and. TS, if you are able too, take a look at the Peavey Ultra. Way better gain than a Valveking, and really nice cleans (being a high gain amp).
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
My ultra's built like a tank. I think you could toss it around quite a bit and still work perfectly.

Oh, and. TS, if you are able too, take a look at the Peavey Ultra. Way better gain than a Valveking, and really nice cleans (being a high gain amp).

+1

The Ultra series (XXX, JSX, 3120) are great amps. You get a really nice clean channel...while still keeping the high gain voicing.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I haven't heard very many good things about the batches of 6505 combos that have been coming out recently, it seems like the crazy demand for them caused Peavey to cut the quality in half with them.

If you want to venture into more than just metal, look at the Valveking, if your going to play nothing but metal, then look at the 6505.

This. You really can't play anything but hardcore/hard rock/metal with a 6505.
No offense to Valve King owners; I never thought I would see the day that a VK was being compared to a 6505. Both amps are different and have their place. But the 6505 is clearly "More of an Amp" then the VK.
That said, for a cheap entry level tube amp; There are certain people that hold the Valve King on a high pedestal and will defend it to the death. (These people also never played Diezel VH4, Splawn or a Soldano SLO )
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
There are certain people that hold the Valve King on a high pedestal and will defend it to the death. (These people also never played Diezel VH4, Splawn or a Soldano SLO )

I doubt any of those people would keep their VK over the other amps you mentioned though...

The VK can be had for under $200 if you look hard enough
Quote by eyebanez333
+1

The Ultra series (XXX, JSX, 3120) are great amps. You get a really nice clean channel...while still keeping the high gain voicing.

Also, the Ultra 60, Ultra 120, the Ultra combo and the Ultra Plus are parts of the Ultra series.

Anyway, that's the second time you've given me a +1 in this thread. I feel smart.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by theraven871
No offense to Valve King owners; I never thought I would see the day that a VK was being compared to a 6505. Both amps are different and have their place. But the 6505 is clearly "More of an Amp" then the VK.
That said, for a cheap entry level tube amp; There are certain people that hold the Valve King on a high pedestal and will defend it to the death. (These people also never played Diezel VH4, Splawn or a Soldano SLO )

No, but the 6505 can only do on genera really good, and sucks at doing anything else good, the VK can do a lot of things decently.

The amps you mentioned, all VK owners would blow up their amps if they could get their hands on any of those, but, if you own a VK, most likely your on a tight budget, and you want to play more than just metal. It's a cheap all around tube amp, While the 6505 is just for metal.
i never cared for the valvekings much, but I don't think that a decision between a VK or 6505 really makes sense, as they're voiced a bit different.

If you are looking for a clean to crunch type (like the VK) I would compare it to other budget tube amps aside from the 6505. If you're looking for balls out metal (6505) i would compare the 6505 to other high gain amps instead of the VK.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by AtaBorMan
Also, the Ultra 60, Ultra 120, the Ultra combo and the Ultra Plus are parts of the Ultra series.

Anyway, that's the second time you've given me a +1 in this thread. I feel smart.

Yeah, I left the ultra 60 and 120 off because you had already mentioned them But not everybody knows that save cosmetics, a few features on the JSX, and the different tubes coming stock on the JSX and 3120...all of them are the same amp
I'm pretty set on metal/hard rock (with some clean breaks). Won't really need any crunch or low gain tones.

What high gain death metal amps are comparable to the 6505 in this price range? I would do the research myself, but I don't know too much about tube amps.

Btw, I'm going tube because I want a better tone than my solid state without going overboard with the size and I've heard tubes are really more responsive and have a better tone. Is it reasonable to think a 60W tube combo will sound better than a 100W solid state half-stack?
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
You're definitely not going to get desirable death metal tones out of a Valveking without some serious work.

A 60 watt tube combo will sound far, far better than most solid state amps in your price range, with a number of exceptions.

As far as comparable tube amps for death metal, there's the Vypyr Tube 60, the Bugera 333/333XL, the 6260, and the 6262. Comparable solid state amps would be the Ampeg VH140c, SS140c, Line 6 Flextone, Crate GT3500H and GX130c. Most of the solid state options can be found for diiiiiiirt cheap (particularly the Flextone and the Crates) and sound great as well, so don't discount them merely because they're solid state.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??