Well I was learning 'Indonesia' by August Burns Red, and the song's pretty easy generally but what I had a lot of difficulty with, and still can't do properly, is the sweeping section. It's a sweeping pattern across 5 strings, fairly slow, but I don't understand why my hand just can't seem to down sweep(as in from the thickest string to the thinnest) over 5 strings. I've managed sweeps over 3 strings, but I just can't get my hand to sweep evenly on longer sweeps.

I don't have any problem sweeping upwards but when sweeping down, my hand just wants to pick each note when I don't concentrate hard. I manage to sweep downwards properly if I really think hard, but it feels really unnatural and I'm not great at it, and my arm gets really tight. Has anyone ever found this a problem? And is there a specific way to get better, or do I simply have to keep practicing it over and over again?
Keep on practicing 3 string sweeps until you get to the point where it starts to get boring and repetitive. From there i would just gradually move up until you feel comfortable with 5 string sweeps. That's what i did. Practice, practice, practice. ;D
My Gear

LTD/ESP M200FM
Line 6 30W spider 3
Boss ME-50
Boss Metal Zone MT2
Quote by Joshxcleland
Keep on practicing 3 string sweeps until you get to the point where it starts to get boring and repetitive. From there i would just gradually move up until you feel comfortable with 5 string sweeps. That's what i did. Practice, practice, practice. ;D

Hah alright fair enough. But what did you have problems with when you practiced? Was it co-ordinating your left and right hands? Or was it like me, where your hand just couldn't sweep downwards properly?
you could try to sweep pick major and minor arpeggios with root note on the 5th string. then you can try 3, 4 and 5 string sweeps.