Basically, my Floyd is so stiff to the point where doing some light vibrato is pretty much out of the question ... all you can do with it is push it all the way down or pull it all the way up. Is there any easy fix for this?

(I'm using a Dean RC7X 7 string with an OFR)
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
you could remove a spring from the bridge
ESP f-400FM with EMG Actives
Ibanez GIO
Epiphone V with Seymour Duncan Invader
Epiphone Explorer with Dragonfire Actives

Line 6 Spider 3 120 watt with Line 6 Pod and Digitech Whammy Pedal
I've always used a 7 string set of Ernie Ball 9s.

Removing a spring makes it completely un-balanceable ... even with the claw screwed right into the body.

Ideas?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Jul 7, 2010,
Is the FR original to the guitar? Is the block longer so the back plate doesn't fit? Are there any gaps between each wind of the spring? How many springs are you using? All these things could indicate a problem.

If there are no gaps between the springs then you pull back the springs will lose all tension and not assist.
Quote by fly135
Is the FR original to the guitar? Is the block longer so the back plate doesn't fit? Are there any gaps between each wind of the spring? How many springs are you using? All these things could indicate a problem.

If there are no gaps between the springs then you pull back the springs will lose all tension and not assist.

Yes, this particular guitar comes with a 7 string OFR, I haven't put it on myself or anything.

No, the strings a very tightly wound and insanely hard to stretch out ... this is real heavy duty shit I'm talkin' about.

I'm using 3 springs right now, I've tried setting them up in 2 different ways:
| | | and /|\ and the insane stiffness remains the same both ways.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
You need to have the springs stretched to some degree. Lighter springs sound in order. Not stretched is no good.
Quote by fly135
You need to have the springs stretched to some degree. Lighter springs sound in order. Not stretched is no good.

Any particular way you advise me stretching them? I've played this guitar for a little over a year now and the trem has got a LOT of abuse ... if that hasn't stretched them what will?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
The only thing you can do is get a lighter gauge of strings. Changing the springs in any way (changing the configuration, adding spring removing a spring) will do nothing since you have to balance the trem out to keep it in tune.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
New springs are always stiff and take a while to loosen up a bit. Do you have any other guitars with more worn in springs you could try swaping?

I've also heard of people attaching one end of a spring to a vice and hanging big weights off them for a day or so in an attempt to stretch the spring out a bit, could try that?
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
New springs are always stiff and take a while to loosen up a bit. Do you have any other guitars with more worn in springs you could try swaping?

I've also heard of people attaching one end of a spring to a vice and hanging big weights off them for a day or so in an attempt to stretch the spring out a bit, could try that?

Interesting, might give the vice thing a go. I don't own any other guitars with a FR.

Just another thing to throw in there, does having less/more string wound round the tuning pegs effect how stiff the trem will be all locked down?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
The string tension behind the nut wont effect the trem in any way since its locked off.

Do you know anyone with a floyd equipped guitar to compare the trem action to? I found going from my worn in PRS to my Ibanez a bit tricky as the trem felt much stiffer at first. It took a few months of use but the springs have now settled down a bit and im more used to it.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Use lighter springs.

If the springs are heavy then you have very little stretch. If you pull back then the coils contract, touch togeather, then provide no pull against the string tension. It's all in your hand and feels stiff.

If you dive then you are pulling against heavy springs with a high force coeficient. Again, feels stiff. You want a spring with a lower force coef that assists in raising pitch and isn't too tight when diving.