Hey guys, I've got a few methods I've used, but I thought a nice thread about how people record drums would be nice, and could mabey even be fleshed out and turned into a guide for newbies to drums at a later date, so i'd just like to know, how do you prefer to record drums (And I know different songs, different techniques and whatnot) but if you could just post a breif outline and the kind of music you use it for, i think it could make for an interesting thread Also, some microphones you like wouldn't go amis either, and I'm looking for all sorts of methods, from the most expensive to the cheap for a lot of variation

EDIT:

For the record here, i record drums, I'm not asking how I should do it, I'm asking about your preference for doing it and the way you like to do it
Last edited by theepiczebra at Jul 7, 2010,
Well the only way I've recorded drums so far is with my friend's mixer, and I can say, it is not easy. I play deathcore, and you need a really tight drum sound, and even with the EQ and stuff, one output isn't going to cut it. You can't adjust EQ, compression, or reverb of indiviual drums after its recorded, and you can't edit timing issues, however minor they may be. I'm looking into a Tascam US-1641, and I plan on getting it as soon as I can afford one.

As for mics, we've been using the Shure PGDMK6 drum mic kit, and they sound good. I'm thinking about making a trigger out of a cheap piezo for kick and possibly snare. The only part of the drum recording rig that's not as good as it needs to be is the interface, and I'll get that worked out.

For now I just program them for recordings though. Makes it much easier.
I could have sworn I remember someone asking this same exact question not too long ago, you may want to search around first before posting this and waiting for responses...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022183&highlight=record+drums

Me personally, I run e-drums in my studio but when tracking acoustics I run the following mics and gear:

Kick: Shure Beta 52A
Snare: SM57 top and bottom
Toms: Sennheiser MD421 II
Hat: Shure SM81LC
Overheads: Rode NT5 spaced pair

All run into a PreSonus FP10 firewire interface
Sequencer: Sonar 8 Producer
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by moody07747
I could have sworn I remember someone asking this same exact question not too long ago, you may want to search around first before posting this and waiting for responses...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022183&highlight=record+drums

Me personally, I run e-drums in my studio but when tracking acoustics I run the following mics and gear:

Kick: Shure Beta 52A
Snare: SM57 top and bottom
Toms: Sennheiser MD421 II
Hat: Shure SM81LC
Overheads: Rode NT5 spaced pair

All run into a PreSonus FP10 firewire interface
Sequencer: Sonar 8 Producer

I've got one aswell, love it

That thread looks a little different though, that guys asking for advice with his triggers, I'm just looking to mabey compile a guide for some people and to just explore any methods people use, as I say, I already record drums in a way I'm comfortable with, but the moar you know
better then you

nah jk

i got 20 channels of I/O so

1. kick ( sm57) works great for sampling to
2. snare top audix i5
3. snare bottom 57
4.tom 1 604 senhieser
5. tom 2 604 sennheiser (if its a 2 tom peice i use a md421
6. tom 3 (604 same thing with the md421)
7. tom 4 (md421 or sm7b
8-9. Overheads Nt5 spaced pair
10. room mono st79
11. Room L at4040
12 room R at 4040
13 highat sm7b
14. ride at3035
15. snare trig
16. kick trig
17. tom trig
18 tom trig
19 tom trig
20 tom trig
Last edited by CatharsisStudio at Jul 7, 2010,
I haven't mic'd a real kit in forever but last time I did it was 4 mics total. One on the kick, one of the snare and 2 for overheads. Thats the bare minimum for a good modern sound IMO.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Recently I've been running a single SDC overhead about 4-5 feet above the kit and some dynamic Peavey mic on the kick drum, but I'm about to get some new mic stands and a new interface, so I'm gonna use the Peavey mic on the kick, another one on the snare, and an XY overhead setup, with a LDC facing the tom side and a SDC facing the snare/hihat side.
Quote by theepiczebra
I've got one aswell, love it

I wish I could say the same about mine. I have to reinstall the drivers weekly as they glitch up on my computer and I loose control of them

but other than that the sound quality is very nice.
Quote by moody07747
I wish I could say the same about mine. I have to reinstall the drivers weekly as they glitch up on my computer and I loose control of them

but other than that the sound quality is very nice.

Really? I'm running x64 Windows 7 and I've never had this problem
yea according to PreSonus there is a "driver conflict" somewhere on my system and it's probably dealing with the motherboard. I should try an external Firewire card but I'm rebuilding this PC in a few months so I'll hold off until then.
Kick - Sennheiser e602
snare and toms - combination of SM57/58's and Sennheiser e835
overheads - Behringer ecm8000's (SD omni condensors)

.... works for me.

My latest mixing project, though, I really wasn't thrilled with the kick and snare sounds I got that day. Maybe should have spent more time on placement.... ah, well....

So, I used KTDrumTrigger and took the recorded kicks and snares and replaced them with samples. Mixed in with the rest of the real drums and the real overheads..... I'm getting the best drum sound I've ever gotten.

See, the trick behind using triggers is using realistic sounding samples and having a human performance.

As I understand it, Def Leppard used sampled drums on all their Hysteria and later stuff, but used real hi-hats and real cymbals to "real" up the sound.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.