I'm putting both of these into one thread to save space. It's been awhile since I've been here... I've missed you, good ol' GG&A

First question: http://jhspedals.com/JHS_Pedals/JHS_Little_Black_Buffer.html Is this a good buffer? Is it really worth that much? Can I find a cheaper equivalent? Can it really do everything it claims, and restore your tone completely like going straight guitar to amp?

Second: I want an old vintage Fender amp head. I'm going to scour ebay for a good deal; now, I know the tone I'm after, but I don't know what fender amps to search for. I know obviously the Bassman, and Also the Vibrosonic, but not much else. Can some of you tell me about some other Fender heads from the 60's and 70's? Preferably not something super rare or collectable and expensive that would cost a fortune. Something that can be easily had for under 1000 USD. I'm not just Fender exclusive, but I need a similar tone from a vintage head. Yes, it has to be a head. I've looked at silvertone as well, but don't know which model. It needs to be at least 20 watts. I also don't want a Fender amp that I know were made around this time that are produced specifically not to break up at high volumes. I want at least some breakup. I will do the rest with fuzz and od's but I need breakup. If I think of any other requirements, I will post them... Thanks in advance.

Buffers can certainly help. Especially if you have a lot of pedals in your chain and a lot of cable between the guitar and amp (including your board). But honestly, nothing against the manufacturer of those lines of buffers, check out This1smyne.com Dan builds buffers and a whole lot more, and his cost is a substantial difference. He builds them in the smallest enclosure or you can get them in a slightly larger enclosure w/ a footswitch and a LED. But the switch and LED are non-essentials, it's a plug-in type thing, so no need for the bells and whistles.

Check out Dan's site or email him at this1smyne@hotmail.com.
Bump- Can anyone help me on the Fender Amps?

I think I've settled it to either an old Bassman or a Bandmaster. Has anyone tested them? Which did you prefer? I'm going to get a chance to try both out fairly soon.

i prefer the bandmaster between those two.

a dual showman would be a nice find.

if i were you i'd hunt down an old brownface.
You might need a buffer or you might not. A lot of pedals already are already buffered, but I have heard good things about Dan's buffer.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Any reason why you like the Bandmaster better? I'll check out the Dual Showman. I don't understand the price jumps; you can find a silverface Bassman for $350, a Bandmaster for $450, and then the Showmans are in the $800's... why? They're all from about the same years.

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Any reason why you like the Bandmaster better? I'll check out the Dual Showman. I don't understand the price jumps; you can find a silverface Bassman for $350, a Bandmaster for $450, and then the Showmans are in the $800's... why? They're all from about the same years.

lots of reasons, some amps are considered collectible others not as much. remember people do collect these things so that contributes to "values". also circuits varied and some are considered more desirable.

i liked the bandmaster better because the one i played just sounded better than the bassman that i had. mine was a bassman 10, which is different from other bassman amps. but compared to a bandmaster the bassman will generally have a bit less scooped tone. i prefer the mid scooped tones from fenders, great for blues and classic rock.

but scouring clist you can find a brownface in the $600 range. i've seen at least 2 heads for around that in the past year.