I have 2 strats (1988 & 2000) that each has a ground wire going from the volume pot to the bottom of the pickups cavity. It is screwed to the bottom of the cavity in an area that has what I believe is shielding paint around it.

My guess is that this cavity has been sprayed with shielding paint and has been mostly covered with the regular paint except for the part where the grounding wire is connected. Assuming this is correct, does this mean that my guitar is shielded already and wouldn't benefit from extra copper shielding in the cavity. Obviously the pickguard could use some copper shielding but would the cavity benefit from some also? If this isn't shielding paint, how does it benefit the guitar from grounding a volume pot to the wood of the guitar?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin
Even if it has shielding paint you'd see an improvement from copper shielding. Copper>aluminum>shielding paint.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
copper and aluminum of the same thickness are no different for shielding. shield paint only affects RFI, not random noise in the air.

it is shielding paint. you cant ground wood.
Quote by Invader Jim
copper and aluminum of the same thickness are no different for shielding. shield paint only affects RFI, not random noise in the air.

it is shielding paint. you cant ground wood.

Oh? I had been told otherwise. Thanks Jim! Always so damn knowledgeable... Either way shielding tape is better than paint, right?
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah