So I'm trying to fix the intonation on my guitar, and everywhere I look it says to move the saddles. I understand this, but no website will tell me HOW to move said saddles.

Sorry to sound stupid, but how do I move the saddles? (The strings are too sharp by the way, not flat)
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
What kind of guitar do you have?

Edit: Anything with a Fender Strat type bridge or a tune-o-matic just need the screws tightened or loosened, you'll easily see them as they hold the saddles in.
If we're talking Floyd Rose style bridges then I'm not exactly the man to see, but the only ones I've used need allen screws unlocked, and then the saddle just gets slid along a small rail
Last edited by whoomit at Jul 7, 2010,
It's an Ibanez that's all I know. There is a screw behind each saddle which I assume does something, but I played around with them and nothing changed.
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Start with one string tune it. Apply pressure at the 12th fret check with a tuner if it is sharp loosen saddle till it isn't. Then apply to all strings. Tighten if flat but always check that 12 fret.
It looks more like the 2nd one.

So I just turn the screws? If so how many times, cause I tried it but it only got a little flatter, not all the way.
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Last edited by transplants182 at Jul 7, 2010,
Well if it's like the 2nd one you need to loosen the black allen screws and then you can slide the saddles backwards and forwards
I'll be here if you need more help and I'll check back in over the next few days too
Quote by transplants182

But how do I loosen the saddle? Do I just loosen the screw that it's attached to?

Is it a standard trem, the 2nd one in that pic is a Floyd type trem, those are rough to deal with. I'm thinking you have a standard type trem, which are massively easier.

Is the intonation screws, the screws that are attach to the saddle and move them back and fourth attached to the trem plate? The big metal piece that holds the entire trem?

If they are, all you do is use the righty tighty lefty loosey rule, if it's the floyd, I have no idea, I wont touch a Floyd Rose with a 10 1/2 foot pole.
Quote by transplants182

So I just turn the screws? If so how many times, cause I tried it but it only got a little flatter, not all the way.

You turn each one until you like the feel of the distance between the string and the neck...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
My bad it's not a Floyd, I probably should've looked a little closer at the pic.

One more question: so I turned the screw (it is on the back of a big metal plate) until the 12th fret was tuned correctly, but now when I play the open string it's too flat. Do I just keep doing this and retuning until they both (open and 12th fret) play the same note?

Edit: Yes! It looks almost exactly like the one above.
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Ah okay haha
Make sure your open strings are all perfectly in tune, then play a 12th fret harmonic, and then just play the 12th fret.
If the 12th fret note is too sharp, then tighten the screw (this makes the string longer).
Or if the note is too flat then loosen the screw (making the string shorter).
After you think you've adjusted it correctly you need to retune and check that the harmonic and the 12th fret note match.

Take your time and try not to get too frustrated, it can be a long and tiring process until you get used to it. Good luck
Ok, I'm prepared (I think) for the long process. Now at least I know that I'm doing it right.

Thanks everybody for all the help!
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24