For a fatter tone but good quality sound for the higher single notes, I think that the Rockfield Fatass / Mafia pickups would do that quite well, but I fear that the "Low-output" profile of those pickups will get lost in the mix, ya think? BUT I do play metal mostly, so these are my options after going to the Seymour Duncan website and reading their pickup profiles, these are my options:

EMG 81/60
SD Black Outs ahb-2 metal
SD Black Outs ahb-3 empty
Bill Lawrence L500XL (bridge) not sure yet about the neck PU-i don't that much anyways
SD screamin' Demon
Rockfield fatass/mafia

Does anyone have any experience with the Rockfield Fatass/Mafia pickups? Do they get lost in the mix easily? Are they too weak for my style?
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
rockfield mafias are low output? i haven't tried them, but i think they're high-output?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was talking with my neighbor this morning about pickups, and he recommends the DiMarizo Tone Zone as being the most versatile pickup that sounds the best. He builds guitars, and has over 25 years of giging, and has used an insane amount of gear, so I trust his word on guitar equipment. Paul Gilbert uses the Tone Zone, so it has to be good.
no idea where you get the idea that lower outputs have trouble cutting through the mix.

i guess we're not really hearing strats or telecasters in full band situations.
also that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lower output = turn up your amp. Problem solved.

Too many people believe that you have to have EMG's etc to get a good high gain sound. In my opinion, lower output is often better as you get the option of a good clean sound.

I have a Tone Zone in my guitar. My friend has Blackouts. I can get an awesome distortion sound out of my amp, with plenty of gain to spare. Switch to the clean channel and it sounds great. When he plugs in to the same settings, it sounds muddy and just no good. You have to turn the gain down. Switch to the clean channel and it isn't clean at all. You have to reduce the volume on the guitar and the gain to get even a passable clean sound.

Pretty much, whatever pickups you get, the end result can be adjusted through your amp.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
I hear Kinman pickups are pretty good, don't know the output but they sound very nice. They are expensive as hell though.
just saw your profile man dont switch pickups until you get your 6505. the amp makes a ton of difference so if you dont like your sound now you might like it alot more once your new amp comes in.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
I'm of the school that says low-medium output is better because it's much easier to add gain than it is to try to dial it back if you have too much.

Besides, lots of metal artists used/use PAFs or hot PAFs.

Also, if you want a Screamin Demon bridge pup and don't need F-spacing, I happen to have one that came in my Jackson RR1.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Supersonic64
just saw your profile man dont switch pickups until you get your 6505. the amp makes a ton of difference so if you dont like your sound now you might like it alot more once your new amp comes in.

Thanks alot for advise! Ill consider that for sure
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Quote by Dave_Mc
rockfield mafias are low output? i haven't tried them, but i think they're high-output?

Yes, actually you're right... the are considered medium-high output.