(Stop hovering and clicky! You know you want to know what it's about. )

SlayingEdit:

I thought that this was an original idea, but it turns out, there's a contest already called the "Real men of genius" or something like that. This is a similar and more relaxed competition.

To start off, I am mainly a pit dweller. As some of you know, we often have little contests just for fun. (And glory.)

So, I was thinking about my little altoids tin guitar, and how it was derived from the infamous cigar box guitar. It got me thinking on how innovative people can be when it comes to creating instruments. And a little bit later, I thought, "Hey, the people on the UG gear building forums are some of the more creative people I know of, I'm sure they've come up with all kinds of cool stuff."

And thus, I came up with the idea of a fun little challenge/contest: To see who can come up with the most innovative guitar from scraps.

The rules are simple:

*The goal is to come up with the most innovative, most professional-looking guitar-resembling instrument you can, while still being fully functional. The most innovative will be determined by a series of polls.

*You can use any materials, from toothpicks to soap to gorilla glue. But remember, this is a competition to see who can come up with the most innovative guitar. Buying a bunch of professional-quality wood and parts, putting it together and giving it a fancy paintjob will not win this for you.

i.e. A guitar with a cigar box body, with a couple soda tabs screwed into the body as the bridge, a broomstick as the neck, and fish eye pegs as the tuners.

*The tools, however, are somewhat limited. You are allowed to use the following: A hammer, pliers, a screwdriver/drill, sandpaper, file, a paintbrush, rags, paper towels, and a small hacksaw, if needed. This is meant to be a list of tools the common person has.

There will be two catagories: Acoustic and electric guitars. The requirements to meet the category standards is below.

General:

*Must be fully playable and functional.
*Must have at least 10 frets.
*The scale length must be at least 14 inches.
*Cosmetic options such as paint is up to you.
*It must have a bridge, body, neck, nut, and tuning pegs.
*A sound demo is required.

Acoustic:
*Must have a sound hole of some sort on the body.

Electric:
*Must have some sort of pickup that can be run into an amp.
*Acoustic-electric guitars will be classified as electric guitars.

This is meant to test how creative you can be, like the people that would come up with interesting instruments during the depression. And occupy any of the to-be-wasted free time you may have during the summer.

Due date:
Your instrument must be finished by Saturday the 31st (in July,) at 11:59 pm, eastern time.

What's the prize for this?
All the respect and glory you desire.

So, who's in?

Hopefully this isn't against the rules in any way. >.>
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 8, 2010,
...Saturday the 17th of July?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
This seems pretty cool.
I may do this. I have a cigar box laying around that I want to use for something.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Dream Floyd
...Saturday the 17th of July?

Easily changeable, just set that there so it didn't look like I left that unattended.

Oh, I just realized you probably meant whether or not it was this month. Yeah, in july. The next saturday the 17th is in September. Of next year.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 7, 2010,
is it me, or is this kind of like the Real Men of Genius Competition?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
^Agreed. This sort of contest has been rehashed so many times that it's not even that interesting any more.

Plus Saturday the 17th is a retardedly early dead line.

EDIT: First part of this post was agreeing with InvaderJim's comment, not TS'
Quote by RIP_bonham
So that gives me 10 days, minus sleeping, minus working, minus laziness...
Ya it's not happening.

Dude, I said it's extremely flexible. If you want me to make it later, I will.

Is the 31st good for everyone that would be interested in participating?

And if this has been done to many times before, then I guess Invader Jim can just close the thread.
I like this one better than the Real Men of Genius one because I don't have any money and I wouldn't stand a chance in the RMoG if I can't buy things. I want this one to stay up.
Quote by Schism1985
What about all the 100 GBP builds?

And that design contest that... MetalWarrior40? ran a while back.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by act31
Would my no money build count?

Well, yes, but it's not terribly innovative. This is a competition to see who can come up with the most creative guitar, and by that, I mean building materials.

And I can see this will not be accepted well, I'll just go crawl back into my dark abyss known as the pit. I mean, what was I thinking, making a thread?
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 7, 2010,
I will use spit, duct tape, super glue, and rubber bands to manufacture a dream guitar.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Quote by Mike-T93
I will use spit, duct tape, super glue, and rubber bands to manufacture a dream guitar.

Oh god... I just watched the Mythbusters Duct Tape Special II, and now I want to build a duct tape guitar...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by Mike-T93

This sounds interesting.
If i mold my own shit into a guitar shape and just put some strings pickups and knobs in it would i be able to win this competition?
Quote by Shauntheawesome
If i mold my own shit into a guitar shape and just put some strings pickups and knobs in it would i be able to win this competition?

Depends if the voters decide it's the most creative.
Quote by Shauntheawesome
Im gonna need some more taco bell if im gonna finish on time lmao...

Changed the due date, acceptable with everyone?
Quote by SlayingDragons
This sounds interesting.

Aw damn now I feel like I actually have to attempt it...might need to add something more solid to that list <.<
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
I was just playing my "electric washtub bass" before coming onto this board. Its a wooden stilt with the imput jack and a pickup from a stratcopy electrical taped to it with a grind peg off of a bike as a bridge and the string wrapped around the neck and clamped to the "headstock"

is this something that your looking for?
no sir away a papaya war is on
i might actually build a petrol can guitar.
Quote by Stugg334
I just started writing a metal solo, and so far I have:

*Hit Lead Button On Mesa*
*Spread legs to width of 160cm*
*Perform facial expression akin to that of having a woodpecker chip away at your rectum*
*Practice scales*

My greencaster =)
Quote by Shauntheawesome

i would give you 10/10 if you do xD
Quote by Stugg334
I just started writing a metal solo, and so far I have:

*Hit Lead Button On Mesa*
*Spread legs to width of 160cm*
*Perform facial expression akin to that of having a woodpecker chip away at your rectum*
*Practice scales*

My greencaster =)
Quote by Shauntheawesome

Dude. Don't even try, that's gonna sound like shit but seriously... don't forget sound clips. You might even hit that good 'brown sound'
You should alongside RMOG, as a more relaxed version. That way, people won't be disheartened and can goof around a bit. Real Boys with Noteworthy Enthusiam to Innovate competion.
Quote by the_perdestrian
I was just playing my "electric washtub bass" before coming onto this board. Its a wooden stilt with the imput jack and a pickup from a stratcopy electrical taped to it with a grind peg off of a bike as a bridge and the string wrapped around the neck and clamped to the "headstock"

is this something that your looking for?

Yeah, something like that.

Quote by -MintSauce-
You should alongside RMOG, as a more relaxed version. That way, people won't be disheartened and can goof around a bit. Real Boys with Noteworthy Enthusiam to Innovate competition.

Haha, ok then. How exactly should I do that?
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 8, 2010,
Seeing as I love cigar box guitars in a fiery, hot, passionate, non-sexual-yet-still-somewhat-sexual kind of way, I would love to enter this. Especially since I've been wanting to make that oil-can Ukulele for a while... But sadly, don't think I can finish in time :/ Especially what with my need to finish all my conventional CBGs for sellin and my attempt at the RMOGC.

Any other time though dude! I'd be in.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
I just got a big box with my flight case today. Build a box bass? I'll duct tape some wood scraps to the inside for bracing.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Bumps?

I really expected this to go at least a bit better. Maybe the pit would have been a better place to hold this. >.>

you'll find that we in the GB&C couldnt care less about forum glory... we're all about gear and finding out how much we can mod it before it breaks.

edit: after reading that a second time i realize i sounded like a dick. sorry about that, im not trying to be mean or anything.