I've been thinking about getting lessons for awhile, but I have some questions. How drastically and quickly do they improve your playing? Is 30 min. a week the average amount of time per lesson? What areas are focused on during lessons (theory or practice or what)?
Sending a dummy to my God.

I just recently started taking lessons, once a week, for 30 minutes. My teacher focuses on areas the student wants to improve in, and such. So far, after 2 lessons, I learned the major, minor, diminished and augmented triads, a couple licks, a couple forms of the diatonic scale, and a couple exercises for my picking.

It really depends on your teacher, they all have different styles of teaching.

And the 30 minutes goes by quicker than anything.
I have weekly lessons. Half hour each. You do everything and anything that'll make a you a better guitarist. You'll improve much quicker than you will on your own. It's really worth it. Just don't go with the first teacher you find, make sure you get a good'un
I did lessons for 3 years, 30 min per week. It made a huge difference. As far as what its focused on if its a good teacher they will ask you what you ultimately want to be able to do and then they will put together a lesson plan based on that. (Thats what my teacher did anyway)
Quote by leg end
I have weekly lessons. Half hour each. You do everything and anything that'll make a you a better guitarist. You'll improve much quicker than you will on your own. It's really worth it. Just don't go with the first teacher you find, make sure you get a good'un

Well, I don't have any idea how to tell a good teacher from a bad one..
Here's the link to the place I've been looking at for lessons, with each different teacher. http://www.dammmusic.com/storefront/listProducts.aspx?idcategory=1134

I took lessons at high school and a couple classes at college. My high school teacher helped me understand the guitar alot better than my college ones.
I also took theory classes in college and those have helped alot.

tl;dr: Don't be a fool, study in school.

EDIT: They were all also very much cheaper. No cost at high school and about $20 each semester (which included my other classes.)
Last edited by cyco_bob56 at Jul 7, 2010,
i take lessons once a week for 2 hours ($5 a lesson, great deal aint it) and so far in about 10-11 months ive learned basicly all the basics (scales major, minor, aug, dim. triads, chords, harmonics, pinch harmonics, pentatonics, diatonics, church modes, tapping, right hand hammer ons, speed picking, diffrent picking styles, and alot of other things that i know but u know u cant exactly think of it cause you just do it)
your lucky my school is small and theres not as many music freaks like me there so i dont think there will be enough people sighning up for music theory class for there to be one... the funny thing is i think i know more music theory than my teacher lol
I take lessons 30 minutes a week. Great Teacher. I've learned a lot. Being an Ameuter guitarist (almost passing that phase) I can say that being in a (few) band(s) has helped me a lot more than guitar lessons but guitar lessongs are a great if you find a good teacher.
Quote by theunforgivn
the funny thing is i think i know more music theory than my teacher lol

lol.nah.
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
yea ive schooled her on many things, she made it thru school but i think that she has forgotten alot of it, but however she is defintly better at sight reading