So I was working on getting better solos, and started working on my phrasing. I got pretty good at that, but it still sounds a little boring.

After playing to some of my guitarist friends, they suggested using more vibrato when I'm holding out my notes. I've been working at my vibrato for a few weeks now, and not really noticing any improvement, so my question is, does anyone have any tips on playing with vibrato, also, if anyone has any goood video lessons, like off youtube, that I can watch, that would help a ton!
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
just practice it a lot
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
Well the technique itself is pretty basic, the real key is what you want it to sound like in the first place...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well the technique itself is pretty basic, the real key is what you want it to sound like in the first place...

Honestly, I didn't really know you could get different sounds out of vibrato, I thought it pretty much sounded all the same... Are there any examples, like in a song or something, that can show me some different vibrato sounds.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by sites.nick
Honestly, I didn't really know you could get different sounds out of vibrato, I thought it pretty much sounded all the same... Are there any examples, like in a song or something, that can show me some different vibrato sounds.

Well do you want a shallower, faster style of vibrato like a BB King type of sound or a wider, slower type of thing like Michael Amott from Arch Enemy? Faster more agressive sound like Zakk Wylde?

Ideally you should have enough control over what you're doing to make your choice based on what you want to express and what sort of music you're playing over but I think the first real thing you need to do is decide which kind of sound you want to be "your" vibrato.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Just listened to all of them, I'm kind of leaning toward the agressive Zakk Wylde sound, but a bit more subtle then that.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by sites.nick
Just listened to all of them, I'm kind of leaning toward the agressive Zakk Wylde sound, but a bit more subtle then that.

Well now that you know what sound you want and you're aware of the basics of the physical technique you just need to practice. The key to the Zakk Wylde is a fast, at least tone wide vibrato so you won't get it immediately if you're not used to it, it'll take some work.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfefKB3cvag
Malmsteen tends to have a slow, wide vibrato. Very violin-like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUSkGeaUPU
This is a great example of using vibrato in varying width and speed.

Vai also has a good article on vibrato, and mentions circular vibrato. Worth reading. http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/84/vibrato.html
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I would also recommend working on your bending more too. A lot of this skills on instruments leak into eachother, kinda like tie dye skillz. A good, smooth, confident bending hand will result in more controlled vibrato also.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
alright so pretty much everyones saying to practice, are their like any exercises I could try to make sure I'm doing it right while I'm practicing, or is it just playing songs, and trying to add in vibrato and I'll eventually get it.

I've already been practicing for a couple weeks, I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take, but that seems like a while.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by sites.nick
alright so pretty much everyones saying to practice, are their like any exercises I could try to make sure I'm doing it right while I'm practicing, or is it just playing songs, and trying to add in vibrato and I'll eventually get it.

I've already been practicing for a couple weeks, I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take, but that seems like a while.

Basically the only person who can tell you if you're doing vibrato right is you, if sounds good to you then chances are it sounds good to other people as well.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by sites.nick
Years... your playing is almost like your voice, extremely easy to differentiate from someone elses, but that vocal signature takes years to develope.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by sites.nick

a couple weeks, it takes quite a while to develop an "experienced vibrato". when you listen to a guitarist, the one thing that gives me a clue on how long he/she has been playing is the vibrato(9 times out of 10) It is a simple techniquie that takes time to develop. just keep practicing, practicing, practicing, and when you think you notice improvement, keep practicing
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Alright, thanks for the help everyone! I guess I'm just a little impatient, but I'll keep working at it.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well do you want a shallower, faster style of vibrato like a BB King type of sound or a wider, slower type of thing like Michael Amott from Arch Enemy? Faster more agressive sound like Zakk Wylde?

Ideally you should have enough control over what you're doing to make your choice based on what you want to express and what sort of music you're playing over but I think the first real thing you need to do is decide which kind of sound you want to be "your" vibrato.

Bingo. Vibrato ain't just vibrato. The way you do it will have a dramatic effect on the emotion it conveys.

Practice playing fast tight vibrato and slow wide vibrato. The ability to control how it comes across is really important to being good at the technique.
I'd pick somebody's vibrato, analyze it (i.e. figure out how wide it is) and just practice bending up to that tone slowly and repeatedly using a metronome. As time goes on, gradually speed it up, but concentrate on hitting both ends of the vibrato perfectly every time. Do not sacrifice intonation for speed - it will sound like a sasquatch.