3 18%
Boss MD-2
0 0%
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
6 35%
Something Else
4 24%
Voters: 17.
I've been looking for some awesome Metal Pedals. I play Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Pantera, Megadeth, and stuff like that
My limit is $99
My Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Silvertone SRK-1
Marshall MG15FX
You need a new amp more than you need a pedal. Marshall MG's are bad enough on their own, a pedal won't make it any better.

You spent $1400 on your Gibson, with that money you can get an excellent amp.

Tell me what you are willing to do, and I will give some recommendations.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
^ This guy is seriously right. That guitar deserves a half decent amp.. Pedals will only take you so far..
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Schecter Hellraiser DLX
ESP MH-401
Bugera 6260
2x12 made by a local guy, now loaded with an Eminence Texas Heat and Man O War
MXR 10-band EQ
the fullbore or the muff are probs the nicest on there. Don't worry about getting a new amp, if youve got an mg15 you're most likely just playing at home, and better amps for the most part get loud. In my mind for home practice a nice guitar is more important.
If you are mostly playing at home, may I also suggest the line 6 toneport gx - best £30 I ever spent and much better tones than you'll get on pedals with smaller amps
Last edited by add666 at Jul 7, 2010,
Out of those, I would get a metal muff

BUT

You need a new amp. No question.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Good god. I voted after skimming your post - upon closer inspection though... good god.

My mind can't comprehend this, or why people do this - don't you know that instead of buying a $1400 Gibson and a $100 Marshall, you can allocate $1500 into something that will sound (and possibly play) 1000X better?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Now for the amp advice.

There are several ways you can go at about $1400.

I am assuming you want a combo, since you don't have a cab right now.

-You can pick up a Marshall JVM215C combo for $1600 new, or less if you can find a used one. This amp should do Megadeth, Slayer, and Iron Maiden well.

-The Peavey 6505 212 combo goes for $1200 new. It does most types of metal well.

-The Peavey JSX 212 is $1100 new. I don't know much about how this amp sounds, but I have heard good things about it.

I'll let everybody else add some suggestions.

Those amps I listed can be found in most
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by TMF128
Now for the amp advice.

There are several ways you can go at about $1400.

I am assuming you want a combo, since you don't have a cab right now.

-You can pick up a Marshall JVM215C combo for $1600 new, or less if you can find a used one. This amp should do Megadeth, Slayer, and Iron Maiden well.

-The Peavey 6505 212 combo goes for $1200 new. It does most types of metal well.

-The Peavey JSX 212 is $1100 new. I don't know much about how this amp sounds, but I have heard good things about it.

I'll let everybody else add some suggestions.

Those amps I listed can be found in most

first off you can get a 60 Watt 6505 + combo for $600 new at guitar center these days. Which is a great deal. And you could use the money you save on retubing it with some real nice tubes

Second, if you have $1400 and your buying a marshall definitely do not get the JVM. Get a used JCM(preferably 800 or 900) or maybe a JMP. The JVM is quite dissapointing.
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 7, 2010,
Okay he doesn't HAVE $1400. He has $99.

Also, OP, the MG doesn't really take pedals well and it will be hard to get decent tone out of it even with a boutique pedal. You'd be better off downgrading your guitar and using the leftover money to buy a better (metal-voiced) amp.
If you insist on playing that guitar into that amp then the Metal Muff, but it's not going to make it sound good.
As others have said what you should be doing is saving and looking at amps that will really do that guitar justice.
If you're playing an mg15 I'm going to assume you're just playing at home. If that's the case then any of the 5 watt tube combos available are going to sound monumentally better and are going to take to pedals better as well.
wow sorry i read things wrong.

but yeah, your going to need more than $99 on an amp if you want something that even sounds just okay. Your amp is 100000000 times more important than your guitar. I would rather play a Epiphone Les Paul Special(with or without a pickup swap) through a Mesa Triple Rec rather than play a Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Marshall MG, get what i'm saying?
Quote by handbanana
first off you can get a 60 Watt 6505 + combo for $600 new at guitar center these days. Which is a great deal. And you could use the money you save on retubing it with some real nice tubes

Second, if you have $1400 and your buying a marshall definitely do not get the JVM. Get a used JCM(preferably 800 or 900) or maybe a JMP. The JVM is quite dissapointing.

Yeah, the 6505+ combo is cheaper, but because the other one (the regular 6505) is a 2x12, it will have a stronger low-end because of the extra speaker.

Besides, why settle for less when you have the money?

As for the JVM, it is not a bad amp at all. The OD Red channel has quite great lead tones and Megadeth-esque rhythm tones. Have you ever actually played through it before?

However, the JCM 800 and 900 are great amps as well, but you just need a boost pedal to get it into the right territory.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43