Page 1 of 2
I was thinking about buying high-gain pedal for metal,This summer.
My budget is around 200$.
I was thinking about the Blackstar Ht-distx
What do you say about?
I just want to say that the only store i wish to buy from is the GuitarCenter, so if you to help me give me recommendations from there only.
Sorry for bothering , but any other offered about the pedal will be pleased!!
Thanx , best regards!
pedfoot!

Edit: Forgot, I show a lot with a variety of amps so the amp isn't very important, but i want the pedal to be with a personality, i don't know how to say it.
And i'm using an active Jackson with 81/85 Emg pickups

Tnx againg!
Last edited by Pedfoot at Jul 7, 2010,
Blackstar just came out with a new HT Pedal specifically for metal, check it out
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by jpnyc
Check out the YouTube videos of the MXR Fullbore Metal.

That shouldn't sound too bad, as long as you use proper ear protection.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
wat

You suggested a tube pedal and then linked to a Tubescreamer? And to the guy that suggested the Fullbore, IMO it's one of the worst pedals ever made. Just flat out buzzy, thin and generally nasty sounding. And the Blackstar pedals are fizzy and don't sound tube like at all to me.

TS, what amp are you using?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by salgala2000
I think you should get a tube pedal. You can get a "boutique" pedal if youre willing to go used.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Keeley-Modded-Ibanez-TS808-Mod-Plus-Tube-Screamer-reg--Guitar-Effects-Pedal-423029-i1478793.gc
How about that??

the tubescreamer gives blues overdrive, not metal distortion. definetely not what ts is looking for. i'm not sure about the best distortion pedal for metal under 200 dollars, since im sure theres lots i haven't heard of, but i can tell you that i've heard some good tones from the keeley metal zone mod. its much better than the stock boss metal zone
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Marky_Strummer
The Blackstar DistX is a good choice

Fuck your avatar, you bastard

do you use tube amps or Solid State amps mostly? Would you use the pedal to add more overdrive to your amps distortion or use the pedal on the amps clean channel?
I've just wrote that the amp i use doesn't matter because it changes all the time, but most of the time i use solid state.
I have the boss mt-2 not keeley and it's kinda Suck! hate it! i'm not going to buy the keeley which it's just an improved mt-2.

BTW the blackstar has tube for those who asked.
Any other suggestions? please
Thanks!!

Edit: and i'm playing on clean most of times.
Edit2: I'm searching a pedal which will fit to all kind of metal and heavy rock, will be just great in solos . I'm especially searching the old school tone like Metallica did and Megadeth , Iron Maiden and etc.
Last edited by Pedfoot at Jul 8, 2010,
Why only GC? Their selection is so limited...
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Pedfoot
Ok but only store in Las Vegas!
Now any suggestions?
Thanks!!1

What about buying one on the interwebz?

Proguitarshop.com?
tonefactor.com?
Ehh? Ehhhh?

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
What about buying one on the interwebz?

Proguitarshop.com?
tonefactor.com?
Ehh? Ehhhh?

Nope! it costs delivery as well..
and i want to go to try it by myself.
I understand trying it yourself. But I've ordered from both and never payed shipping. And to be honest, I'd rather see them try it out through good gear on youtube, than try to work with it myself through the shitty amps they make you test pedals on at GC (all the pedals at my local one are attached to a board going into a Raven SS amp).

Quote by bogg808

OK,
But first i prefer you to suggest me pedals for versatile metal than will see how to purchase it
thanks!
Why does the amp you use change?

This is pretty much a sure-fire way to sound like shit, at least 50% of the time?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

This is pretty much a sure-fire way to sound like shit, at least 50% of the time?

+1

it would make more sence to put that $200 away, and save up for a good amp that will stay, instead of buying a pedal that may work with one amp, but not the other. And in all honesty, it might not get you the kind of sound you want, or even close to it
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
mmm... I'll say one more time, I'm performing in many places and every place has it's own amp, so i still think that a great pedal will give me my sound i'm searching especially when plays in clean most of times. If it so important to you my amp is Zoom fire-30
Sucks, but I'm getting use to it.
But i want unique sound and not from an amp, a pedal which has it's uniqueness.
Any?
Thanks!
So you HAVE to use the places amp??

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I wouldn't even book a show at a place like that if I knew I couldn't use my own amp.

I'd suggest going with some sort of modeling device if that's the case, this way if you have a bad amp, or an amp not designed for metal, you can plug directly into the sound system, or bypass the amp's preamp and just use its power amp. You should easily be able to get a used Line 6 POD XT (probably with all the the model packs), for that price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 8, 2010,
I just don't get why to suggest a metal pedal is so hard? In the places i performance they have tube amp of fender, great clean but lame distortion! So i prefer to investing in a great pedal instead of an amp which i'm not going to carry every show cause it's heavy and i don't have way do to it!
Any? please?
Quote by Darkflame
look who's talking
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Wampler Triple-Wreck.

That one gets recommended a lot. No personal experience, but heard a lot of good things.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Pedfoot
I just don't get why to suggest a metal pedal is so hard? In the places i performance they have tube amp of fender, great clean but lame distortion! So i prefer to investing in a great pedal instead of an amp which i'm not going to carry every show cause it's heavy and i don't have way do to it!
Any? please?

I suggested a great option in my last post, but obviously you didn't read the whole thing...?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I suggested a great option in my last post, but obviously you didn't read the whole thing...?

I don't think becoming involve with my amp will be a great idea cuase this amp is very noisy(problem i didn't succeed to solve) it has a built-in multi effect. Kinda pointless, sorry!.

whether you are so want me to buy a new amp, i was thinking about Riviera Pubster 25W, what do you say? But that considered me not to buy any pedal like distortion, wah, delay! (Btw, which very important to me!).
What do you say?
Quote by Pedfoot
I don't think becoming involve with my amp will be a great idea cuase this amp is very noisy(problem i didn't succeed to solve) it has a built-in multi effect. Kinda pointless, sorry!.

Huh?

Quote by Pedfoot
whether you are so want me to buy a new amp, i was thinking about Riviera Pubster 25W, what do you say? But that considered me not to buy any pedal like distortion, wah, delay! (Btw, which very important to me!).
What do you say?

I'm fairly sure that amp is not made for metal, which would be pointless to buy, since that's the sound you're going for.

You want something like a Peavey 6505+ combo, Bugera 6262 or 333XL, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Wow... irony much?

Anyway, the Blackstar pedal is great IMO.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Wow... irony much?

Obviously if it's your amp you're changing, you'd expect it to sound good, or at least do what you want it to. I figured he meant that it's the venue's amp, and that it could be something not even suited for his playing styles, and probably not even good quality
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
First off: Jesus fuck ts, you're a fucking n00b. A good pedal won't make a shit amp sound good. A good amp is your first priority when it comes to proper tone, pedals alone won't save you. Getting a dirt box when you don't know what you'll plugging into is a waste of money.

So you can't bring your own amp. Okay okay, we can handle that. What you do is, you get yourself a modelling floorboard like a POD XT Live or a POD X3 Live. These can be plugged directly into the PA so whatever crap amp the venue has standing around won't ruin your tone.
Quote by TheQuailman
First off: Jesus fuck ts, you're a fucking n00b. A good pedal won't make a shit amp sound good. A good amp is your first priority when it comes to proper tone, pedals alone won't save you. Getting a dirt box when you don't know what you'll plugging into is a waste of money.

So you can't bring your own amp. Okay okay, we can handle that. What you do is, you get yourself a modelling floorboard like a POD XT Live or a POD X3 Live. These can be plugged directly into the PA so whatever crap amp the venue has standing around won't ruin your tone.

First, i'm not your ****ing friend so don't curse me!! I am not a nerd like you searching an information 24/7!!! I invested all my years on playing the guitar and not the equipment! Obviously u didn't understand what i had meant!

And why the hell to purchase the pod which costs 400$ and not a simple pedal distortion which cost 200$!?
BTW, for the record, the Pods are Multi-effect,meaning - digital, hate digital , can't hear them!

nuff' bullshit, can't you just suggest me some pedals?

And i will check the Wemple, sound great till now!
Quote by Pedfoot
And why the hell to purchase the pod which costs 400$ and not a simple pedal distortion which cost 200$!?
BTW, for the record, the Pods are Multi-effect,meaning - digital, hate digital , can't hear them!
That's an easy one: because plugging a distortion pedal into a PA system sounds like shit. Also, digital effects are not necessarily bad. You probably just suck at tweaking them.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Pedfoot
First, i'm not your ****ing friend so don't curse me!! I am not a nerd like you searching an information 24/7!!! I invested all my years on playing the guitar and not the equipment! Obviously u didn't understand what i had meant!

nuff' bullshit, can't you just suggest me some pedals?

And i will check the Wemple, sound great till now!

Calm down. I know what a POD is. But it seems you don't.

The PODs are not distortion boxes or mere multi-effects units, they model amps and speakers, among other things. So the signal that comes out of a POD is pretty much what comes out of a microphone set in front of an amp - basically a POD sounds like mic'd amp. Or as close as you can get with a modeller. Anyway, it's a good sounding unit, at least far better than sticking a distortion pedal in front of random amps.

*sigh*

I seriously don't know why I'm wasting my time with you. I already told you why what you're trying to do is a bad idea and so did twenty people before me. But apparently you don't understand or can't or whatever.
Not everybody knows all the gear in the world, that's fine. BUT YOU'VE COME HERE AND ASKED FOR ADVICE, WHICH YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN BY PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW THIS STUFF, SO MAYBE CONSIDERING WHAT WE'RE TELLING YOU ISN'T THAT BAD OF AN IDEA.

Why do you come here if you are going to disregard our advice? Like, seriously.

At least do some research on these things, because you don't seem to have done so.
Again: A distortion pedal won't do jack for your tone if you're going to use a different amp every day, especially if the amps are bad. Simple as that. No discussion. That's just how it works.

And I don't know where you got that "all digital things sound bad" nonsense, but considering the overall ignorance you've shown so far, I'm going to take that with a pinch of salt.
Instead of getting a single distortion pedal, you should look into a multi effects pedal - that way you'll have everything you ever need, and you can adjust to different amps more easily, or just plug straight into a speaker/PA. (assuming you get one with a preamp.)

I think the Boss ME's (70 or above) & GT's are really great, and I know they have preamps, but I don't know if they're actually preamps, or just preamp settings.

If not, then I agree with the Line 6 POD.

Otherwise, calm the **** down. If you're not going to let us help you, then don't post here, and solve your problems by yourself. The point of these forums is to get opinions and help from other guitarists and musicians.

EDIT: Also, with those Boss multi effects, they have endless numbers of presets you can create and save, so if you go to the same venues pretty often, you can have a patch saved for each venue that works well. Think about that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 8, 2010,
Page 1 of 2