How much should I loosen my guitar string before a flight? I have never had a problem with the neck bowing or anything (so far) flying with my guitar but I know it is always good to loosen the string to allow some bend from the strings/neck.

So how much should the string be loosened?

Peter
not much...for nylon id say they dont even need to be slack..just three or four notes flat

steel string or electric ur might want to do a little looser but truth be told ppl exaggerate with this
It all depends on if your guitar is going to be in the cabin or in the luggage compartment. If shes going to be in the cabin, just slightly loose will be fine. If shes going in the luggage compartment, make those strings as loose as possible without taking them off.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Quote by opticon
It all depends on if your guitar is going to be in the cabin or in the luggage compartment. If shes going to be in the cabin, just slightly loose will be fine. If shes going in the luggage compartment, make those strings as loose as possible without taking them off.

The guitar is always checked in and in with all the other checked bags, never in the cabin with me. I got a very nice and thick case that my guitars are in so they are pretty safe (for the most part).

I usually loosen then a few turns on the pegs as I do not have a floyd rose.

Peter