For my hsc (end of high school assessment) i am planning on building a stack with a Single Ended Lead amp head. Its all going to be locked in a road case and if i have time i'm gonna build a guitar to go with it BUT before I can start i want to get some opinions. Firstly, anyone who has used the AX84 SEL kit, is it any good? For my Cab's....for more low end could i use a combination of bass speakers and guitar speakers (planning on using Celestions). And to avoid the clutter of cables, could I rip the circuitry out of different effects pedals to make a custom pedal board?
Quote by Hamish15
For my hsc (end of high school assessment) i am planning on building a stack with a Single Ended Lead amp head. Its all going to be locked in a road case and if i have time i'm gonna build a guitar to go with it BUT before I can start i want to get some opinions. Firstly, anyone who has used the AX84 SEL kit, is it any good? For my Cab's....for more low end could i use a combination of bass speakers and guitar speakers (planning on using Celestions). And to avoid the clutter of cables, could I rip the circuitry out of different effects pedals to make a custom pedal board?

Can't help with the first bit, but for speakers, hell yeah, I'm pretty sure Hendrix played through bass cabs all the time. They just have a different frequency response curve. It would also work to combine different effects in a single casing with a single power supply to tidy it up. Hell, you could even hook them up to relays and have a little black box of effects behind you with a small pedalboard containing only footswitches if you really want.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Yeah thats the idea I had but would i need to have the actual circuit board in the pedalboard or is there a way to run them from inside the road case? also...umm relays?!? sorry im new to all this customising stuff
If you want to run them all off of one plug and only have one input and output you'd need to do several things. First, decide on what order you want your effects to go, because changing the order will affect the layout. Then you need to decide whether you want the effects all physically in front of you in a custom box or if you want to have only a small switchboard which operates relays (remotely-operated switches), with all knobs for adjustment back off the main stage area with the actual effects unit. The latter provides the opportunity for both reduced noise and capacitive losses of high frequencies due to shorter cable runs, along with a cleaner stage appearance, but will be more expensive and difficult to build and, if you like adjusting the effects at your feet, won't work. You'd also still need to have your wah pedal up there with you if you use wah because you can't operate its sweep with relays. I suppose I should provide a visual example.

Option A:

All effects are integrated in a single housing with their inputs and outputs wired together in series in your chosen order and powered by a single plug by wiring their power inputs in parallel. Knobs are on top and footswitches are in a row on the bottom. A wah pedal is housed to the lower right.

Option B:

Effects units are wired together in the same manner and the signal chain remains the same, but the footswitches are replaced with relays which are operated by footswitches on a remote switching unit connected using non-signal-bearing leads. A wah pedal would need to be present by the footswitch package if you wanted to use one, which would negate the benefit of shorter cable runs and require the use of a battery or another power line (which could be wired through the footswitch unit since it needs power for its LEDs anyway, but whatever wires you need can be make into a proprietary cable for it), but still provide a cleaner stage look.

Both example pictures are simplified to not have LEDs because I was too lazy to draw them and their presence would only have made the pictures cluttered and harder to understand. In either case you could have LEDs at your feet indicating which effect is active. I hope that helps.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jul 7, 2010,
wow thats heaps of info thanks
i won't be starting this for another few months so i can save up for everything. what effects do you think would be the essentials for a stage rig? what brands are best?
That's entirely up to you and what style you play. Every pedal and brand is fine, they all work, it's just a matter of tone, effect, etc. You should play through as many stompboxes as possible and determine what appeals to your tastes and decide from there. I'm not a huge pedal guy; most of the time I just play clean with no effects. Stuff that's generally considered basic effects necessities, depending on genre, include wah, fuzz, tubescreamer-type distortion, some sort of more more raw and heavy type of distortion, compression, phaser, tremolo, simple delay, EQ, clean boost, and reverb. With all of those you can cover most songs in just about any genre effectively. More specialized effects include delay with tap tempo and/or loop recording features, chorus, flanger, pitch shift, etc. These types of effects can have a headache-inducing number of features for people who like to keep things simple.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
This year's HSC or next year's HSC? Because if you're doing it this year and you haven't started you only have about 5 weeks before marking D;

Edit: Nevermind just saw that you won't be starting for a few months
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
well i play blues, metal & hard rock....would i need more than one type of distortion?
oh & yeah steve i'm crazy...but not that crazy :P
change of plan......now going for more of a bass amp approach, no pedal board at this stage, building 5 string bass and road case still going through
bass amp would still be a full stack....what head should i get (kit form) to run my cabs....trying for under $500 for the head
everything still in planning stage so open to suggestions & ideas