Hello to all, Just joined this site about 2 minutes ago. Noob speaking, from Australia.

Ok so anyway, I've been playing the same shitty $200(AU) guitar for a long time, and now i want upgrades. Into alot of metal riffs and decided either an Ibanez or Jackson would be best for that style of music.

In terms of knowing what guitar brands are best for what, I'm completely new. I just play. Never really had the money to buy anything good up untill now so I didnt bother researching into what pickups are best for what and why, and same with guitar brands in general.

I'm looking into buying the 370DX, but im willing to spend more. My spending limit would be about $1700(AU). Just want to know what everyones opinion on that guitar is. This same kind of question is probably asked alot and I understand iff some ppl might get pissed at these posts, but I would really appreciate any kind of advice.

Thanks!
How much is 1700 in us money lol
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
And you're looking at the 370dx?!

$1400 BTW
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i got my 370dxl the left handed version for about 300 dollars off of ebay
i personally love it it feels right to me especially the thin neck
i heard some people had problems with the wammy bar but ive never seen them
i did however think the pick ups where a little lacking so i changed them and never been happier
i have done some modifications to it but without them its still a solid guitar
you should however try it first before you buy it
edit: just saw the above and daayyuumn you could get a better ibanez for that price like a prestige which are very nice imo unless your also buying an amp in which case you should spent a lrger amount on that than the guitar
Last edited by supersac at Jul 7, 2010,
well i think in AU the prices are dramatically more expensive. so that is probably why he is looking at the 370dx
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
No, don't get that. With that Budet you can easily find something much better.

http://www.shiremusic.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=195248&cart_id=DFB183C8-B48F-60E3-C4B20D54E9972C17

Check and point.

$1,156.38
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yea bro are you happy with your amp because you could spend like 800 or so and get a crazy good amp and then an s series or higher end rg.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between US and Australian dollars, but dollar for dollar the american is more expensive over the Australian.

Im not happy with my amp either, but for the moment it 'will do'. its an Ashton GA100w combo. I paid only $500(AU) for it. Shocking amp but thats a different story. My guitar is so old a tattered, it can't even connect to amplifiers anymore unless you constantly have pressure against the line at all times. so yeah, rotted.

I'm considereing looking into a prestige, or simply buying a 370DX and installing EMG pickups in it. I dunno how to install and uninstall pickups but i'm sure to find out an article about that somewhere on this site.
I have a 370dx and vie never owned a better guitar. Plus you can save money.
98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Sure you can get a used MIJ for that much in aus?

Anyway rg370dx bad trem, bad pickups and not as good as MIJ build quality..
I have a GRG170DX and personally I find it more playable than my friends Gibson Les Paul. Sounds farfetched but this really is a great guitar. For that budget you could also assemble a guitar from Warmoth parts to really get your ideal guitar. Also, a company called 'Ran guitars' could make you a custom guitar (Rob Barrett from Malevolent Creation and Piotr from Vader are both endorsed by 'em). Personally I would just say get a cheap guitar that feels nice to play and buy a good half stack (I'm sure you could get a used JCM800 within your budget)
I've got one, suits metal, and shred. C profile neck is good for shredding. Theyre good guitars but for 1700 you can do better, Ibanez prestige guitars mabye. I'm from Sydney by the way.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Ive seen Rg1570's go for 1200 in melbourne new. That was a pretty good deal, but you should be able to get a prestige under 1700.
Also look into schecters such as the hellraiser, esp ltds, and some jacksons if you want metal.
But always remember, whilst it does sound like you need a new guitar, an expensive amp is more important than an expensive guitar if you can't have both.
RIP Gooze

cats
The trem bridge and pickups suck on mine.

Bridge goes outta tune a lot, sinks into the cavity sometime too.

Pups are muddy.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by Ravenfaust
The trem bridge and pickups suck on mine.

Bridge goes outta tune a lot, sinks into the cavity sometime too.

Pups are muddy.

thats why we recommend the prestige ones.
RIP Gooze

cats
It was one of the worse guitars I have ever owned.. Neck needs tightening like once a month, the neck angle was severly off, the locking nut needs to be raised, the bridge falls out of tune, knife edges are pretty much trashed after a month, pickups sucked and when returning the tremelo back into postion you get severe tension pop.

Huge waste of money... Spend the cash on a great guitar or atleast get an older Japanese Ibanez and mod it to your liking..
Meh, an S420 should be around the same price and has a much nicer trem. Same pups though, which, although not the worst in the world, aren't exactly glorious, either.

1700 should get you a used Prestige, like an RG1570.