http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-DP-004-Portable-4-track-Digital-Multi-track-Recorder-105152128-i1428207.gc?source=4AGGWXX2

Ive been looking at this 4 track, and I have one question really, do recorders like this allow me to edit further on a computer? Because it would be kind of limiting to not be able to tweak eq or add some effects. Plus, Im used to recording on audacity, would I be able to tweak tracks like that? Do these recorders export each track seperately? Or as one mixed audio file? Looks great to me otherwise.
Once you are recorded on the devices like these you are not really able to put each individual track on the computer for mixing and mastering.
You can however export the full mixdown in the end to the computer via USB or a card reader most of the time.

MTRs are built to work as a stand alone operation. They are nice to have for small ideas however are quite limited and expensive for what you get. If you feel you would want to record on a computer at any point, I would just get an audio interface from the start.

See my UG recording video linked in my sig about MTRs
Thanks, thats good to know. I was thinking about getting an audio interface originally, but I kinda though, "Oh I can do the same thing with an MTR, I may as well get one because its more portable". I guess my mission now is to find a good audio interface that will work with my laptop...
Yeah. Look for a mixer with a USB output, or an interface with mic inputs. Why mic inputs, you may ask?

I got a POD UX1 to do some recording, and now that I've learned drums, its a restraint rather than an avenue. There aren't enough mic inputs, so I need to record with 1 mic a million different times. And make sure it lets you do more than two tracks or one stereo track!
I generally tend to stay away from using and suggesting the use of those USB mixers mostly because they tend to only send out the main stereo output though the USB limiting what you can edit later on the computer.

When buying an audio interface, look at what you'll be recording both now and in the future so you are not stuck with a small interface with one or two inputs like L2112 did.
The larger interfaces such as the PreSonus Firestudio Projects cost a bit more but are worth it in the end if ya ask me. I own an FP10 and most of the time use only 2 or 3 inputs however I have the ability to record up to 8 mics and MIDI all at once. It really is a nice buffer to fit into your system.
The DP-004 will let you export all 4 tracks via USB onto your computer separately, you can drop them all into your choice of DAW and further edit them. The small condensers on that recorder are actually amazing. I ended up getting the DP-008 after having a DP-004 for a week(they amazingly let me bring it back without a restocking fee,) because it has 2 XLR phantom powered inputs, still has the built in mics, has awesome battery life, has a back-light, has built in EQ(no EQ on the 004) and reverb(several types, and is really not much bigger. Hands down, IMO. the best portable recorder out there right now, there are others with lots of effects and what not, but these Tascam mics blow everything else away(the Boss micro-recorder mic was horrid). Note that I travel quite a bit and bought mine to scratch down ideas, but I've ended up keeping alot of recorded tracks just using the built in mics, and I own a very decent mic collection.
DP-008 sounds awesome, I might end up getting this. Main thing for me is being able to play around with the tracks on my computer, but the other 4 tracks is a huge plus, and being able to use phantom powered mics could also come in handy. Sounds like a good purchase to me.

moody: Whats your opinion on the DP-008? Just interested to get an opinion from somebody who doesnt like MTRs.
Last edited by AlskiOverload at Jul 9, 2010,
I think these lower end MTRs like the 004 and 008 are ok to start off with or track ideas while away from the studio however I really see their limits when using them and so that's the number one reason I stay away from them....not to mention you spend more for what you get most of the time...

for $200 you can get an M-audio Fast Track Pro
For $350, a FAst Track Ultra.

The ultra has plenty of inputs as well as MIDI and never limits you to 4 or 8 total tracks.

Read up on MTRS here:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/multi_track_recorders.htm

And if you feel you won't be limited by 8 tracks and it works best for your scenario, I would say go for the MTR.
I'd have to agree with moody that having a computer interface is very important, for all the reasons he listed, but, in the same breath I do believe that your underestimating these little MTR's. I can record 8 tracks, dump them into my computer, export a quick master, import it back onto one track and have seven more instantly(only takes a couple minutes) and I now have 15 tracks(then 22, and 29, ect..), and can keep doing so without ever losing any of the individual tracks. The down fall is of course the fact that you can't pan, raise or lower the volume of the other tracks once put on one track, but it is a decent work around and may sound like a lot of work, but is actually very little. Again, I still agree that a computer interface is of the up most importance when recording audio, and if I could only have one, it would be my interface. As far as cost, I'm not so sure, Sonar (about $500 or so)cost way more that my DP-008, plus my interface, XLN Addictive drums, Melodyne, ect....but the DP-00 series aren't meant to replace a dedicated DAW, so you must decide which will work for your situation, which will provide a good work flow so that your spending more time recording and making music than setting up to do so and losing great ideas in the process.