Pickups
0 0%
Pedal
0 0%
Voters: 10.
Gear:

Schecter Omen 6 with factory pickups

Fender Frontman 15G

I want a Prog Metal style distortion pedal, however I was told I should get a new amp first, I was also looking into new pickups, my limit is about $150 on everything (except the pickups)

So which should I get to sound more like Dream Theater in the quickest and cheapest way?

Oh and please specify a product with your response.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Jul 7, 2010,
Get a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV.

You're absolutely not going to sound anything like Dream Theater with an amp like that, no matter what you do.

You don't need new pickups for now.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

You're absolutely not going to sound anything like Dream Theater with an amp like that, no matter what you do.
I definitely figured that, which is why I made this topic... Oh well, seems I will have to shell out a bit more cash... But the Mesa Boogie MIV as interested me a lot lately anyway so it isn't all bad...
Quote by phoenix_crush
You might have to stretch your budget a tad for a mesa.
Tell me about it...

Is there anything cheaper I can get? It doesn't have to be dead on sound, just similar.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Jul 7, 2010,
Well, Bugera is coming out with the 'Magician' amps, which will supposedly cop a Mark sound, but I wouldn't recommend jumping on them until a year or so after they're released. Bugera (and any amp maker whose stuff is produced in China, really) is known to have problems with the first run of their gear, although I haven't heard any problems from them lately. They also won't be that much cheaper than the Mesa stuff ($900 new, if I remember correctly) whereas a used Mark IV head is usually around $1200-ish.

You can get a Mark III for around $800 or so, and the Green/Simul-Class Mark IIIs are probably as close to a Mark IV as you can get without getting a Mark IV.

Petrucci is now using a Mark V, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 7, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
Get a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV.

You don't need new pickups for now.

how the hell is he gonna get that mark IV with $150?
Quote by Arterial
His limit is $150 and youre recommending a Mark IV.
It isn't that strict of a budget, I could always wait and just get a Mark III