As the title states, i was about to get rid of my LTD EC-1000 because my epi les paul just flat out sounds better than it through the splawn, but today i did a recording test that makes me curious.

I recorded the same part, double tracked with a faked bass line, on each guitar with my sm57 i received yesterday (recording noob). I'm using a firebox to record. I can't seem to tell a difference in the recorded files, amp settings are identical on each.

I'm sure someone has experienced something like this before, any thoughts? Am I 'doing it wrong'? I'll include links to the recordings in case anyone is interested.

Epi - http://www.filedropper.com/nitrosm5730days

EC-1000 - http://www.filedropper.com/nitroec1000sm5730days
Guitars
Amps
your ears and nature's perfect little recording setup > your shure and your recording setup.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
your ears and nature's perfect little recording setup > your shure and your recording setup.

so this is common? Was wondering if i had a lemon somewhere in the chain
Guitars
Amps
i mean it takes a really good setup and some technical knowledge to reproduce exactly what your ears hear. human hearing is the best recording set up ever, it's all we have to judge against, and it's been in development for a bajillion years.

don't worry about it. whatever you recorded is just not as hi-fi as what you heard. don't forget too that human hearing is 3 dimensional. your capturing that signal with a flat mono mic and playing it back. It loses a lot in the process.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
To me, the EC-1000 has just the slightest hint of more low end.
Jackson DK2M
Jackson DXMGT
Jackson Rhoads V
Jackson Stealth
Yahmaha El-Cheapo Acoustic

Randall G2
Randall Cyclone
Behringer 4x12 Cab

Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR Fullbore Metal
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
ISP Decimator
Quote by cheese_grater

thanks for the comment
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
so this is common? Was wondering if i had a lemon somewhere in the chain

there might be one, what pickups does ur esp have? and wat about ur epi (im assuming generic epiphone or gibson usa pickups)

Quote by cheese_grater

Thats far from true, Ltds deluxe series are far better guitars than most epis IMO
Eh.
Last edited by Himelnator at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by Himelnator
there might be one, what pickups does ur esp have? and wat about ur epi (im assuming generic epiphone or gibson usa pickups)

Thats far from true, Ltds deluxe series are far better guitars than most epis IMO

I think that he is talking about the sound of the clips, not the quality of the instrument.
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Schecter Hellraiser DLX
ESP MH-401
Bugera 6260
2x12 made by a local guy, now loaded with an Eminence Texas Heat and Man O War
MXR 10-band EQ
Congratulations! You have just discovered the real difference between the sound of two electric guitars when played through serious amounts of distortion.
Quote by Himelnator

I think he meant far more low end frequencies - more bass.

Getting the exact studio sound/live sounds is nigh on impossible, even the big bands can't come close usually. I wouldn't worry about it at all really - if it sounds good then roll with it.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by Himelnator

Dude, I mean more bass.
Jackson DK2M
Jackson DXMGT
Jackson Rhoads V
Jackson Stealth
Yahmaha El-Cheapo Acoustic

Randall G2
Randall Cyclone
Behringer 4x12 Cab

Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR Fullbore Metal
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
ISP Decimator
Quote by Himelnator
the esp has emg 60/81, the epiphone has the standard stock pickups, alnico 2 or something like that. Those riffs i recorded were bridge.
Guitars
Amps