So I've been dabbling in guitar for several years now. I can play a lot of tabs, and I'm not horrible, pretty decent really, but I want to get good and I was wondering where I could start. I don't really know any scales or the notes on the guitar neck for each and every fret and I was wondering what I should practice to improve. I was wondering if anyone could give me specific things to look at, learn, practice, etc. to go from being quite average to a good guitar player. Thanks very much for any help!
It's kind of surprising that you've been playing for awhile and don't know that. Learn a Pentatonic Blues Scale; just one shape that you can move anywhere. Practice it for a while until you have it down. Also, learn all the notes on each fret of the 6th string. Memorize them. Say them out loud as you play them and shit. Then do the A string. Then the D string. And so on.

EDIT:
Also, you don't need 3 different threads on this.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Last edited by Drmmrboi180 at Jul 7, 2010,
i was in your situation once OP, so dont worry. if you search for 'pebber brown' on youtube, he has LOADS of lessons from basic stuff, so advanced shit. also provides free pdf lessons too (and i promise you, i have nothing to do with the guy, just passing on some valuable info)

his stuff reall helped me
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
Quote by Drmmrboi180
It's kind of surprising that you've been playing for awhile and don't know that. Learn a Pentatonic Blues Scale; just one shape that you can move anywhere. Practice it for a while until you have it down. Also, learn all the notes on each fret of the 6th string. Memorize them. Say them out loud as you play them and shit. Then do the A string. Then the D string. And so on.

EDIT:
Also, you don't need 3 different threads on this.

Well I know the pentatonic like 5-8,5-7,5-7,5-7,5-8,5-8 and a blue but don't really know where to move them on the neck, like which all notes fit into it, or what keys and everything.

And sorry about the multiple topics, didn't know where would be best for it or who was looking at what forums.
Quote by Jukeboxguitar
Well I know the pentatonic like 5-8,5-7,5-7,5-7,5-8,5-8 and a blue but don't really know where to move them on the neck, like which all notes fit into it, or what keys and everything.

And sorry about the multiple topics, didn't know where would be best for it or who was looking at what forums.

moving it on the neck is what changes the key. what you have there is the A minor pentatonic scale. move it up two frets and its B minor pentatonic. to play in whatever key you want, just find it on the 6th string , aka key of C means you look for a C note. play that scale starting on that fret and you have the C minor pentatonic scale.

moving the minor pentatonic scale up 3 frets gives you the major pentatonic scale for whatever key you were playing. for example if you play the pentatonic scale on the 2nd fret youre playing A major pentatonic scale (3 frets up from the 5th fret)
Quote by ((HeyOh))
moving it on the neck is what changes the key. what you have there is the A minor pentatonic scale. move it up two frets and its B minor pentatonic. to play in whatever key you want, just find it on the 6th string , aka key of C means you look for a C note. play that scale starting on that fret and you have the C minor pentatonic scale.

moving the minor pentatonic scale up 3 frets gives you the major pentatonic scale for whatever key you were playing. for example if you play the pentatonic scale on the 2nd fret youre playing A major pentatonic scale (3 frets up from the 5th fret)

I understand it's just the same scale starting from a different key, but if I'm listening to a rhythm progression and want to solo over it, how do I find out what key to solo in? I won't know the key of the rhythm progression or the notes that will fit in that key up and down the neck.
Quote by Jukeboxguitar
I understand it's just the same scale starting from a different key, but if I'm listening to a rhythm progression and want to solo over it, how do I find out what key to solo in? I won't know the key of the rhythm progression or the notes that will fit in that key up and down the neck.

my ears arent trained enough to figure out what keys songs are in yet. one thing one of my friends does is just play every note up the e string until one sounds right
Quote by ((HeyOh))
my ears arent trained enough to figure out what keys songs are in yet. one thing one of my friends does is just play every note up the e string until one sounds right

Gotcha. Well I guess I'll just practice scales and learning the notes of each fret then.
Quote by ((HeyOh))

That's what I usually do. Some songs are easier than others.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Read these in order. They're music theory lessons simply laid out and well-explained. I highly recommend them.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Ya the Crusade columns are pretty good but for some reason when I just started learning theory they were a little too confusing right off the bat. I found THESE columns way more easy to understand and actually more fun to go along with. It explains everything really clearly and doesnt just jump into things without explaining. There are a few columns on technique you can probably skip cause you've been playing for a while, just go through all of the theory columns and you will know theory in no time.