So I've been dabbling in guitar for several years now. I can play a lot of tabs, and I'm not horrible, pretty decent really, but I want to get good and I was wondering where I could start. I don't really know any scales or the notes on the guitar neck for each and every fret and I was wondering what I should practice to improve. I was wondering if anyone could give me specific things to look at, learn, practice, etc. to go from being quite average to a good guitar player. Thanks very much for any help!
Quote by Jukeboxguitar
So I've been dabbling in guitar for several years now. I can play a lot of tabs, and I'm not horrible, pretty decent really, but I want to get good and I was wondering where I could start. I don't really know any scales or the notes on the guitar neck for each and every fret and I was wondering what I should practice to improve. I was wondering if anyone could give me specific things to look at, learn, practice, etc. to go from being quite average to a good guitar player. Thanks very much for any help!

How many songs can you play by memory.... without looking at the tab?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
How many songs can you play by memory.... without looking at the tab?

Whole songs? Never really bother to learn absolutely every part to every song, but a fair amount of main riffs and such from songs I know.
First step is to go back and finish learning those songs.

Next step is to start learning the fretboard and some music theory.

After that, go back and look at all the songs you know and figure out why they sound good.
Quote by STONESHAKER
First step is to go back and finish learning those songs.

Next step is to start learning the fretboard and some music theory.

After that, go back and look at all the songs you know and figure out why they sound good.

^ nice

more or less what I was going to suggest!

Having those songs down.... under your fingers.... in your ears... and in your brain, will really give you some context for when you do study music theory. ( plus it's a lot of fun IMO)

I would also recommend learning to read standard notation. it will allow you to become familiar with the language that most theory examples are written in and will contribute to your knowledge of the fretboard.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 7, 2010,
I agree with the above, but I think you should try memorizing the notes on the fretboard first... what's the point of reading standard notation if you don't know where the note is?

Course, you could learn both at the same time by slowly working through a piece of sheet music, but my personal approach is to break down big goals (sight read standard notation) into smaller goals (memorize fretboard, memorize notes on the staff, etc)
Quote by Jukeboxguitar

Chromatic scale followed by major scale.
I always think learning tabs is a mistake most beginners make, they get frustrated and quit usually (you're an exception). I learned tabs, got frustrated, hung it up for a few years, got back and learned my theory...now I go back to tabs and can learn many songs that I struggled with for hours in a few minutes!

I really suggest learning chord relationships and the important scales like major/minor, pentatonics and then modes.

I wouldn't really suggest trying to finish learning the songs you say you can play, come back to that later when you've practiced a lot of theory related stuff. Then when you are trying to learn that led zep solo you'll realize if you just memorize how it sounds you don't even need to look at a tab, because you understand the minor pentatonic scale and can hear what is being played!
I'm pretty much the same as yourself, I was classically trained in clarinet/saxophone, and can read music. However I can't apply it to guitar at all.

In the past few days i've started working on applying it to guitar, I chose to learn scale patterns, modes, axis theory first. I'm going fine so far
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3