So I'm looking for a pretty small amp to buy with my guitar I'm getting and found a Guitar research 30w tube amp for only $40 in good condition. Are these amps good?
Quote by bassplayer4444
So I'm looking for a pretty small amp to buy with my guitar I'm getting and found a Guitar research 30w tube amp for only $40 in good condition. Are these amps good?

$40?

Are you serious?
You sure they are what they are?

A 30W tube amp goes for at LEAST $350 to about $600

Either the amp in question is falsely advertised, the price is wrong, or it's just genuine shit.

I can guarantee a $40 30W tube amp can't sound good.
I say give it a shot. If it sounds good, awesome! If not, it's not a huge amount of money down the drain and you have a new ottoman.
Quote by siverstorm
You sure they are what they are?

A 30W tube amp goes for at LEAST $350 to about $600

Either the amp in question is falsely advertised, the price is wrong, or it's just genuine shit.

I can guarantee a $40 30W tube amp can't sound good.

I have seen more valuable items sell for cheaper. I'm sure old people dig up their kids old guitar stuff all the time and just give it away for nothing at garage sales having no idea what it is really worth.
I'm pretty skeptical, those amps apparently go for $70 new. If they're as good as those reviews say they are I'm pretty sure they'd be famous now for making high quality tube amps for one fifth the price of a Bugera.
You know what I'm thinking, the guy may have put in the price wrong but I emailed him just in case. I'm 100% sure thats the amp though I think he may have meant to put $140 because there was another listing a few days before for $150 for the same amp but is that a good price still? I will test it out though if it does happen to be that cheap.
That is not a tube amp, it has one 12AX7 in the preamp, the rest is all solid state. It's the the old Sam Ash house brand. They're not bad amps, i have the mini half-stack (4x8) version.
Hmmm interesting , didn't know that thanks for the info.

So how will it effect the sound , since it will be in the preamp?
Last edited by bassplayer4444 at Jul 7, 2010,
i belive preamp tubes give u better distortion if i am correct, although the solid state processing and poor speakers will probably ruin that 12ax7 tubey goodness
Eh.