So, I've got an Ibanez RG that I've fallen in love with, and everything about it from the flat wizard neck to the sleek finish rocks. But the pickups suck dick.

So, I had my heart set on replacing them with an EMG 60/81 because I'm a huge Metallica fan, and the 60 is great for cleans, while the 81 is the heavy I need.

But, After realizing how much work and money it would run me for, I'm second-guessing, which brings me to my actual question;

What are some passive pickup combo's that can emulate the 60/81 versatality and tone?
what amp you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Right now I'm running the Izzy through a Line 6 Spider IV 120. But will be upgrading to a randall half stack or something of the sort when budget allows. But I'm asking about pickups, not my amp.

And I've heard bad things about the bareknuckles, that they're not worth the price, etc.
I'd say upgrade your amp before pups or else you won't even hear a difference between the old and new pups on one of those...

I mean what would be the point of upgrading pups first if you couldn't even hear the improvement or difference they make...?

Oh, what model RG do you play? If it's the one in your profile the V7 and V8 pups aren't that bad either..

EDIT: Did you mean ibby? haha
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by Zamorak at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by Zamorak
I'd say upgrade your amp before pups or else you won't even hear a difference between the old and new pups on one of those...

I mean what would be the point of upgrading pups first if you couldn't even hear the improvement or difference they make...?

Oh, what model RG do you play? If it's the one in your profile the V7 and V8 pups aren't that bad either..

EDIT: Did you mean ibby? haha

I agree that the V8 & V7 are not bad at all, I had those in my prestige and I swapped them for some evo´s only because I got them for free. The V8 & V7 I´ll be putting in another guitar shortly. Alot of people here seem to think that you have to change your pick ups on your guitars when you buy it. I bet most of them could´nt tell the difference between dimarzios and a set that came out of a piece of shit jumpstart guitar played thru a badass amp.
Quote by NickGiovanni
Right now I'm running the Izzy through a Line 6 Spider IV 120. But will be upgrading to a randall half stack or something of the sort when budget allows. But I'm asking about pickups, not my amp.

And I've heard bad things about the bareknuckles, that they're not worth the price, etc.

you should really hear the guitar thru your "forever" amp so you know what tones you're lacking.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
V8 and V7 do not compare with a set of actives. Switched them out for blackouts about a week after i got my rg and heard a world of difference. Words can't describe how much better it sounds now. They were well worth the money and i am not just saying that to justify the purchase, it is one of the few guitar related items that i did not regret buying.
Well, I've had the V7&V8's for over a year and a half now, and I just want a more powerful tone, plus, the V7 in the neck is muddy and terrible for clean sections. The V8 is halfway-decent but, I'd rather go with the power of a Emg 81, then a V8 in the bridge.

And It's an RG3 series profile, with some black trans sunburst stripes, wizard neck. She's a beaut, and no, I meant Izzy It's what I call it, hahahah
Agreeing with upgrading the amp.

Also agreeing on Bare Knuckles. They're just great sounding, and they'll be much cheaper overall- installation will be easier, and you won't have to redo wiring. Plus, I think most of theirs sound better than damn near any pickup out there, but if you're set on an EMG tone you may well have to go with EMGs.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by NickGiovanni

everyone has said bad things about everything. I know of one bkp hater that I trust MrFibble but he runs other just as pricey pickups. I've yet to hear a bad review from anyone else who purchased bkps, declared they weren't worth the price, and went back to much cheaper pickups.

but, your amp matters more.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer