Poll: What is your opinion on fox hunting?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is your opinion on fox hunting?
It should be banned.
87 66%
It should be allowed.
44 34%
Voters: 131.
Page 1 of 5
This is kind of old news, but it made me think. Apparently Roger Waters (bassist/songwriter/vocalist from Pink Floyd) is a huge advocate for hunting, particularly hunting with dogs/fox hunting. Roger Waters says he left England because the Hunting Act of 2004 was passed (which banned hunting with dogs).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Waters#Views_and_advocacy

So... do you think it's ridiculous to leave your home country just because no fox hunting is allowed? What is your opinion on fox hunting? Is it inhumane and should be banned? Or is it a tradition that must be preserved?

I'm hoping some people from the UK will have input for this thread because I don't quite understand the issue.

EDIT:

Just to clear up some confusion, this thread is supposed to be more about this kind of fox hunting with all the dogs and stuff:

Not about using guns to hunt foxes or this kind of fox hunting:

Last edited by aaronob at Jul 8, 2010,
Roger Waters is amazing... But I don't like fox hunting... mainly because foxes are awesome.
its ok as long as they're not going extinct or anything.

i wouldnt go fox hunting though
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
it's not very popular over here in the US anyway. the only people i can see doing it are farmers who need to get rid of foxes so they don't destroy their land.

plus according to Wiki, not many foxes are killed this way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_hunting#United_States_2

the "usual" way to hunt for small game animals in the US is by rifle/shotgun and if an animal is with you, it's only duty is to scare animals out of hiding or to bring a dead animal to you after you've shot it. it's no more inhumane than any other sort of hunting, IF you consider hunting inhumane at all.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Well, unless you live in Mary Poppins land, I've never seen fox hunting ever. But I don't support hunting in general.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
All killing should be banned.
Quote by Dayman
Far as I know foxes aren't endangered. If this is the case, then let 'em hunt.

Neither are humans.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I don't really support hunting and/or killing anything. I don't even like letting people have guns.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Vornik
All killing should be banned.

Neither are humans.

I see what you did there
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Pencil Man
Well, unless you live in Mary Poppins land, I've never seen fox hunting ever. But I don't support hunting in general.

Farmers do it in the countryside in some parts of England, their excuse is that they're pests. They do kill livestock, but as far as I know they're hunted mostly for sport.

I couldn't really care less about this, myself.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I don't really support hunting and/or killing anything. I don't even like letting people have guns.

I seriously can't fathom how ANYBODY has a problem with it, the foxes aren't exactly in danger. What exactly is so bad if he wants to go hunting?
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Feel free to elaborate.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

I seriously can't fathom how ANYBODY has a problem with it, the foxes aren't exactly in danger. What exactly is so bad if he wants to go hunting?

The individual foxes being chased and killed are in pretty serious danger.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

They are in danger... they're about to be torn apart by dogs.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

They are in danger. The 'hunters' intend to kill them.
Pink floyd are all mental anyway.
I don't support fox hunting. But Roger Waters is playing my favorite album of all time in my city on my birthday, so he can do whatever the **** he wants.
Should be banned. What we have to gain from fox hunting in my opinion is pretty unimportant compared to what the fox has to go through in the process.

Anyways, I dunno, I guess it makes me think less of Waters. Doesn't really matter to me. Syd is the only member I like listening to.
Quote by wizards?
Honestly I couldn't care less about hunting foxes with dogs, I came into this thread to brag that I've got tickets to see Roger Waters do The Wall in October...

FUCK YEAH

You can see me do The Wall, for free.

No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Having grown up with a family of hunters, I haven't hunted. Probably will eventually. They're deer, I can't say I won't be a little depressed if I do end up killing it.

However, because we have this "Everything dies anyways" mindset, hunting is here to stay for a long.

I like foxes though, I wish they'd kill something slower. Like fat kids.
1. The idea of having your dogs rip a fox to shreds sounds absolutely barbaric.
2. Pink Floyd sucks.
Quote by blackflag49
2. Pink Floyd sucks.

Roger Waters has more skill in the toenail of his little toe than Black Flag ever has and ever will.
Quote by blackflag49
2. Pink Floyd sucks.

You suck
If their species is in any danger of becoming extinct, I'd say ban it.

Oh well, Roger Waters is still one of my favorite musicians/lyricists OF ALL TIEM, even if he doesn't care about foxes.

Quote by aaronob
Roger Waters has more skill in the toenail of his little toe than Black Flag ever has and ever will.

Also this.

DON'T BE HATIN' IN THE FLOYD
Quote by aaronob

Nahh. Pink Floyd's absolutely boring.
It's a ****ing fox. Are you seriously all beat up that a fox is going to get killed? It doesn't hurt you at all, so what if someone wants to do something YOU don't like...
Quote by blackflag49
Nahh. Pink Floyd's absolutely boring.

I beg to differ. But what ever. To each his own.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
It's a ****ing fox. Are you seriously all beat up that a fox is going to get killed? It doesn't hurt you at all, so what if someone wants to do something YOU don't like...

It wouldn't hurt me at all if YOU died either, so I guess that argument makes it okay for somebody to kill you.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
I could also say "It's a ****ing black guy. Are you seriously all beat up that a black guy is going to get killed? It doesn't hurt you at all, so what if someone wants to do something YOU don't like..."

Yeah, I know a fox isn't a human, but it's still a living sentient being with interests that deserve to be considered.
Also, in case you haven't realized, things in the animal kingdom have a habit of ripping up and killing each other anyway. Chances are the fox you shot just finished tearing up a rabbit. That's just how the world works...

Jesus, the Pit and it's irrational fear of guns...
As a hunter, I really couldn't care less either way.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
That's just how the world works...
Just because some living beings behave a certain way in nautre doesn't mean that humans ought to behave that way.
Quote by The Madcap
I could also say "It's a ****ing black guy. Are you seriously all beat up that a black guy is going to get killed? It doesn't hurt you at all, so what if someone wants to do something YOU don't like..."

Yeah, I know a fox isn't a human, but it's still a living sentient being with interests that deserve to be considered.

You just compared a fox to an African American... Well then, I hope that you have never swatted a fly, or squished a bug. I mean, it's still a living sentient being with interests that deserve to be considered.

Seriously, the average fox gets killed by the time its 3... by a wolf.
you guys realize that fox hunting is used as a means of pest/population control right?

you can only hunt foxes for 3-4 months in a year, hunters are not allowed more than 2 dogs while hunting and most of the time it's not the dog that does the killing. like i said it's no more inhumane than any other sort of hunting.

i'm going by U.S. laws btw
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
You just compared a fox to an African American... Well then, I hope that you have never swatted a fly, or squished a bug. I mean, it's still a living sentient being with interests that deserve to be considered.

Seriously, the average fox gets killed by the time its 3... by a wolf.
Not really....
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Also, in case you haven't realized, things in the animal kingdom have a habit of ripping up and killing each other anyway. Chances are the fox you shot just finished tearing up a rabbit. That's just how the world works...

It's more the arrogance in the idea that we can just go around killing whatever animal we want because we're humans and we're better than them that irks me, not so much any singular fox's life. Yet if an animal killed a human, even in self-defense, that's not okay with us.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Jesus, the Pit and it's irrational fear of guns...

Dude, literally the SOLE purpose of guns is to kill living things. I really don't understand how such an unfathomably vast number of people are okay with how easy it is to obtain one.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Page 1 of 5