mmk so. been palyin for almost a year now.the only solo i have learned is the one to Smells like teen spirit (extremly easy). whenevr try learning a solo its extremly hard for me to put it all together. sure i can play liek a 7 note segment, but the end result, i just forget and i cant paly to speed. i can play fairly fast though. do u guys have any recomendations of some idk, practice solos to learn so that i can get into it? thanks UG
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
megadeths she wolf is pretty simple and completely off subject but we have the same gear
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")98% of teenagers in America are currently bringing sexy back. Put this in your signature if you are one of the 2% where sexy never left.
Learning all the pieces of the solo is useless if you don't put it together. Try playing through the whole thing slowly, and then working it up to speed . Most likely, when you get up to the higher speeds you'll find that a couple of the licks are the hardest and you're having the most trouble with those, so practice those, but keep working the whole solo up to full speed.

The metronome is your friend.

And if you're looking for solos, try Paranoid, it's a good one
Ibanez S520EX ~ Roland Cube 30X ~ Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm
Quote by EspTro
mmk so. been palyin for almost a year now.the only solo i have learned is the one to Smells like teen spirit (extremly easy). whenevr try learning a solo its extremly hard for me to put it all together. sure i can play liek a 7 note segment, but the end result, i just forget and i cant paly to speed. i can play fairly fast though. do u guys have any recomendations of some idk, practice solos to learn so that i can get into it? thanks UG

My advice is take the solo in small segments and start out SUPER slow. Don't move on from one peice of the solo until you absolutely have it stored in your memory bank, remember repetition, repetition, repetition. Third DO not try to play so fast that you sound sloppy. Remember control is key, don't try to speed through it until you have complete control over what you're doing. This is what seperates good guitarist from bad guitarist, control over what you're doing. Finally to build up to speed use a metronome. It instills into you an eternal clock and really syncronizes your two hands together. Remember if you don't have the timing people will hate to play with you and you'll be a terrible guitarist. It also helps you be in control of what you play and build up speed. Finger exercizes also help, go to youtube and you'll see tons...

Again for emphasis REPETITION, REPETITION, REPETITION! And for the love of god don't pick Paul Gilbert solo's start simple. Pick the shortest most simple solo's you can find and work your way up. If you try to tackle something like Gilbert you'll only end up frusterating yourself and hindering your developement as a guitarist. Scales can also help you. If I see a guy playing with an A minor petatonic I can follow along a lot easier and it gives me a template to work off of. (sometimes keys do change but if you study your scales and music theory you should be aware of this when it happens)
It sounds to me like this is a problem based in how you're learning.

You say you forget the notes and can't play up to speed. Sounds to me like you're just trying to learn ahead of your abilities.

The best way to learn any lead part, even for expert players, is to slow it down and learn at a speed you can handle and then slowly work your way up.

Grab a copy of guitar pro which has a training loop feature which allows you to slow down the tabs and then progressively speed them up with each repetition.

Learn slow, at a speed that suits you, and break the solos up into sections. It's not exactly the speediest process, but it will help you nail down each section, which will in turn help with your recall.
Quote by SmokeJs
My advice is take the solo in small segments and start out SUPER slow. Don't move on from one peice of the solo until you absolutely have it stored in your memory bank, remember repetition, repetition, repetition. Third DO not try to play so fast that you sound sloppy. Remember control is key, don't try to speed through it until you have complete control over what you're doing. This is what seperates good guitarist from bad guitarist, control over what you're doing. Finally to build up to speed use a metronome. It instills into you an eternal clock and really syncronizes your two hands together. Remember if you don't have the timing people will hate to play with you and you'll be a terrible guitarist. It also helps you be in control of what you play and build up speed. Finger exercizes also help, go to youtube and you'll see tons...

Again for emphasis REPETITION, REPETITION, REPETITION! And for the love of god don't pick Paul Gilbert solo's start simple. Pick the shortest most simple solo's you can find and work your way up. If you try to tackle something like Gilbert you'll only end up frusterating yourself and hindering your developement as a guitarist. Scales can also help you. If I see a guy playing with an A minor petatonic I can follow along a lot easier and it gives me a template to work off of. (sometimes keys do change but if you study your scales and music theory you should be aware of this when it happens)

Great post! Beat me by a minute!
The way I've always learnt is to break the solo up and learn around 4 notes at a time. The first solo I learnt was the first solo to "beyond the realms of death" -Judas Priest
I dont know if you consider this to be an easy solo?

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
Try Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys. Really simple solo.
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
I would practice scales for at least 15 minutes a practice session. Those will help you build up speed and move around the neck. It's about taking baby steps- you don't need to play through a solo fast at first. It's better to be accurate and work your way to it.