Hey guys, decided a while ago to do a full out ridiculous build, so going for a big double neck! The shape is based on the flatbat design from Abstract guitars USA. I started making my design in AutoCad in my off time from engineering lectures. I realize that im not being particularly original with my woods, using maple for the neckthrough sections, with purpleheart sections then black walnut. This is pretty damn similar to Calums double neck build, but I thought he was right on with the wood choices, and how it came out is exactly what im going for, so dont rip into me too much! This build should take me a while, I want to do it right first time and get it just the way I want, so it will also be costing quite a bit. Anyway heres some photos!

The design drawn up in autocad, note this ISNT the final design at all, just an idea to get me going, the real design will be done as I go

Initial template, note that it will actually be rather smaller height ways after carving as im planing to chamfer the edges quite heavily on both sides.

The wood!

Cut to general size before any planing

This photo is really not needed, but a nice reminder about how safe working practices in workshops are critical, stupid me took a chunk out of my finger putting maple through my bend saw

Hardware wise im basically making it up as i go, but will be updating regularly. Let me know what you think!

Chur
Last edited by Lightbluemk2 at Jul 8, 2010,
Looks pretty awesome, except one thing. The fourth hole out on both sides for the tuners on the twelve string headstock...idk, it just looks like it'll be really awkward stringing it and create some odd friction points crossing over the other strings. Maybe just line the tuners up normally and keep the headstock shape?
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
yeah sorry I didnt make it really clear, the autocad design is really just a preliminary design, its the base of it really. Most of it I'm making up as I go, the headstocks won't be as pictured

Chur
Have you considered putting the SSS with the 12 string? and the HH with the sixer side?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Have you considered putting the SSS with the 12 string? and the HH with the sixer side?

Not sure, I can always do that, but Im pretty far away from making sure decisions on what pickups where

Chur
Man, that is awesome. Wish I knew how to use autocad programs. As it stands my guitar designs are hand drawn and in MS paint. A lot of the abstract designs are awesome. Gonna sticky this one.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
Long time no update, been pretty flat out with other projects and coursework, but today cut the scarf joints and planed them back, thinking ill put a piece of purpleheart between the joint

Just a quick question though, what glue does everyone use for scarfs? Straight PVA woodglue?

Chur
Titebond Original.

Good luck with this one man. Not a fan of the shape but hey to each his own. Thing's gonna weigh a ton when you get done.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
stickied
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
i like this! very creative. a pickguard could be really cool, too. even made out of wood (hell, you're already making everything else, right?). that would let you play with different pickup options. plus you could make the pickguard into a wing shape as well. just something to think about.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Hey guys, no time no post. Been mucking around with a few projects and my coursework, but anyway! Glued up the scarf joints the other day, routed the truss rod channels and started gluing my body pieces together, without further ado

One thing about my pieces of maple that I used for my necks is that one second has a dark patch running through it, and im not totally sure about how happy I am with it, you can see it in one of the headstocks, but ah well, i'll see how it comes out.

Thoughts so far?

Chur
I would like to show you how excited I am about this guitar, but I think this forum has rules against that.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
I like it!! It's looking really good. Just wondering... Do you need a thicker, neck or truss rod to be able to have all 12 strings?

Hey man, cheers, as for the 12 string neck, I think since the neck is wider the bending moment on the whole thing should be a bit smaller, however im definitely thinking about carbon rods either side of the truss rod

Chur